1920 H.C.S. Misfire

Guest zim1

Guest zim1

Can someone help? 1920 H.C.S. 4cyl. weidely engine. Misfires under acceleration. Spray cleaned the carb, but did not dismantle it. Played with the settings a little (air, fuel mixture) with no avail. Not sure whats going on or what to adjust. All sugestions will me much app.

You have not said what model carby is used. I can get my son to scan pages from my Radco tune-up book to emailable form for you, so you know what you are doing.

You need to check that everything else is right before changing the carby settings as a rule: Dwell angle, points condition, and spark advance must be right for a start; and if there are signs of high voltage cross-tracking on surface of the distributer cap, yuo need to scrape the carbon off and seal the blemish with a sealer with a high dielectric strength,then again with same over the entire bakelite surface inside and out. (This is only needed if you find trouble.)

You check the compressions, without and with light oil added to temporarily seal ring leakage.

Then you fit a vacuum gauge and run the standard sequence of tests that will tell you exactly what is right or wrong. The other thing that is handy is a Colourtune Spark plug to run in one cylinder at a time; whereby you can watch the change in colour of the combustion flame from orange (rich), or blue (lean), to clear flame of a chemically correct mixture. This changes as you adjust the carby settings. If no data is available for float level, you set it just below the top of the jet so it does not dribble out. You needle and seat should be able to seal. There are two types of carby trouble, --- dirt trouble, and spanner trouble. Dirt blocks passages and wears jet orifaces and moving parts.

I hope the HCS gives you satisfaction. A man here restored one because it was interesting and rare. He quickly sold it on because it was not the sort of performance that satisfied him, and that he would have enjoyed if it had been a T-head Stutz. I was horrified to see how heavy the car was compared to the engine size. Maybe Harry was thinking of taxicabs.

Ivan Saxton

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zim1

Thanks for the info. I did reset the points to .020 and it helped alot. The gap was around .026. It still has a little roughness to it. The rotor is a little worn. It has a pretty good wear mark it it. I need to find some new points for it. A rotor will help too. It has a stromberg carb.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...