'63 Electra Info

DaveyD

I am going to look at a local '63 Electra 4 door. Supposedly a mostly rot free car with failing paint, leaky carb gasket, and in need of brake work for $1500. Looks decent in pics.

I searched this forum for info and pics of these cars, but could not find much at all.

Any sources I should look at to learn about this year/model before I go and look at it? Anyone here own one and be able to speak about parts availability, "fun factor" etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

Your AACA Library & Research Center would be a good bet to obtain info and photos. Scroll around the Library web site. We retain a full time staff to assist you and retain thousands of original spec information.

In the header gold bar above, click on "Resources" then "Library" for an on-line research request, or...

AACA Library & Research Center

Chris Ritter, Head Librarian

Ph: 717-534-2082

critter@aacalibrary.org

Regards,

Peter J

I had a '63 LeSabre for a while. It was a very nice car. The 401 Nailhead was a powerhouse, and Buick smooth.

The Dynaflow transmission was a neat conversation piece, 0-60 without shifting. It was a little sluggish off the line, but passing from 55-80 was impressive.

The front brakes have big aluminum drums that will warp easily.

Overall a nice diving car, and very attractive in my opinion. I am sorry I sold mine.

DaveyD, I own a '63 Electra 2 door and can tell you these Electra's are great cars. They weren't terribly rare when new, but you don't see them very often today. There were actually 3 different 4 door models made. The standard 4 door sedan, a 4 door hardtop and the 4 door, six window hardtop sedan which was the top of the line. As far as the 4 doors are concerned, I think the regular 4 door hardtop is the most desireable as it has the cleanest look, even though it wasn't the most expensive. If the car you are looking at is a 4 door hardtop with the optional bucket seats, then it could be considered pretty rare. They are big, comfortable riding cars, but expect gas mileage in the 10-15 mpg range if that is a concern for you. Mechanically, they are very reliable with the 401 engine having been used from '59-66. It will have the Dynaflow transmission as '63 was the last year for it. Most mechanical parts should be readily available at NAPA and other parts suppliers. However, it is pretty much a one year body style, so sheetmetal, chrome trim and most any other body part you may need will need to come either from a parts car or found on eBay, swap meets or Hemmings. There are very few reproduction parts made and that is mostly weatherstripping. They share a lot with the Wildcat and Lesabre, but there are enough differences between the models that you need to do your research before buying any parts. For example, the entire back end of the Electra is distinctly different than the Wildcat or Lesabre.

The interior is also pretty much all to it's own, except for the dash, which is the same as the Wildcat/Lesabre, with some minor trim differences. Interior fabric is available.

Body rust is typical of '60's era cars. Bottoms of the fenders, lower door seams and lower rear quarter panels, especially under the ribbed diecast molding. Also floor pans and trunk floor can rot out as well, but more so on converts.

For $1500 if it is solid and rustfree and drives well, you can't really go wrong.

The owner was only available for a short window today, and during that time I was still at work. Hopefully, I can check the car out next week.

On the Dynaflow: does anyone even know how to work on them anymore, if I end up having trouble with it and needing service?

Here are the pics that I have...not the best, I know.

DSCN1555.jpg

BUICK1963.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would grab it for that price. The Dynaflow is a durable unit, and there is always somebody who will be able to fix it if needed.

You will love this car. </div></div>

I agree, plus it's the standard 4 door hardtop which was the most common, but best looking of the 4 doors.

Sorry for the silence. I just got back from a weekend trip to D.C. for my school.

I was thinking about the car over the weekend, and I DO have some concerns in buying an "oddball" in terms of the resale and the ability to replace non-mechanical parts when needed. I have purchased cars in the past that I then found it hard to sell when the time came, and losing money does not feel particularly good! But, I do still plan to go and look at it, hopefully this week.

lol, I don't mean the whole brand is oddball, but that a '63 Electra four door is rather uncommon. I have owned more widely popular models of classic cars before...Grand Prix, GTO, Lemans, Catalina etc.

Guest Moepar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, I don't mean the whole brand is oddball, but that a '63 Electra four door is rather uncommon. I have owned more widely popular models of classic cars before...Grand Prix, GTO, Lemans, Catalina etc. </div></div>Yeah, but then your also buying a GP, GTO, Lemans etc at a premium for their popularity & you <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> may or may not make money on reselling them, but I know chances are better that you will.

I owned two '63 Le Sabres, both without a problem, sold for more than I paid for them. One about broke even when considering that I repainted it.

I did have to redo the dynaflow trans in one of them when mother in law drove it from western North Carolina to northern Virginia at 90mph (she's rough on cars) in low gear (it STILL drove all the way home to NC before the rebuild - tough trans.).

There is a place in Thomasville, NC that has LOTS of Buicks from this era (I think its called Thomasville classics junkyard) that we got a donor from. Don't know if they are still in business as that was about 16 years ago that happened.

All I can say is if you like it, buy it. It looks like a decent car from the photos. If you don't like it, forget about it.