'48 Chrysler tranny issue.....

Hello to all:

Fluid Drive tranny in my '48 8-cyl will increasingly not manually shift out of the low speed (up-handle) position. After a lot of speed-up, slow-down, stopping, starting again, wiggling the lever etc., I can finally move the handle into neutral and other positions. (All hydraulic shifts are fine; this issue affects only the MANUAL shifts on the steering column).

I've adjusted the shift linkage for both reverse and drive tranny levers. All shift-lever movements are smooth and non-binding when vehicle is parked; the problem occurs when vehicle is driving.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is "internal," occurring perhaps because the manual clutch gear sleeve inside the trans is not sliding smoothly between the first gear and neutral positions, thus holding the shift lever in the "up" position.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Thanks in advance for any insights. Bill in Tacoma

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using the clutch to shift? Is it possible the clutch is dragging? You are supposed to use the clutch to shift from Low to High range. A stuck or dragging clutch could cause the symptoms you describe. Does it shift OK when stopped with the motor running?

How are your motor mounts? Is it possible that soft motor mounts or transmission mounts are allowing the engine/trans to shift position, binding the shift mechanism?

It doesn't sound likely to me. I'm sort of grasping at straws.

Incidentally, you don't need to shift in normal use. It is recommended you start off in high range. Low range is only for exceptional cases such as driving in mud, snow or sand, or starting on a steep hill with a full load of passengers and luggage.