DA wiper motors

Guest 1930

I am trying to help somoeone verify if they have the correct wiper motor for their car and also satisfy my own curiousity and hunches. I believe that DA had an early style wiper motor and a late, the early style may not have the arm in center for manual control and the later version did. Can some other DA owners chime in on this, I have posted here pict. of both versions. The owners manual as far as I can tell gives inaccurate pict. of this item. I have a couple these DA motors but they are all identical to what I am calling a late style. I still feel from reviewing other data I have that this guys is still correct. Any help would be appreciated

post-48869-143138065713_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138065741_thumb.jpg

Thanks Terry and Doug. I will add that to the spreadsheet I am keeping for all these cars, it makes for some interesting brain food.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Jason,

Mine frame # DA86590 motor# H29-312 has the one in your frist picture.Also the 28 Standard 6 we have has the same wiper motor.

Well that goes along with my theory about that first one being the earlier version, thanks for the info Vergil.

Vergil does your car have a little metal tag just above your fuel canister, riveted to firewall and what # are there, or maybe you have some # stamped directly into firewall just above and to the left ( standing in front of car ) of your Budd body tag. Also your head # would be nice as well as your exhaust manifold. I am trying to gather all of these # and am hoping that I can get a better understanding of how they used these in their production.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1930

Thanks Rob, when you say two I am assuming you mean that you have dual wipers, I am not aware that any DA ever used factory dual wipers although I know there were dealer installed dual wiper set-ups offered of which I have on my car. Are you telling me that you have two wiper motors mounted on inside of bodys windshield frame?

I would like to know your car serial # that is stamped into the metal tag on your pass. side floorboard, if you can verify that is also the # stamped into your right frame rail just behind and above your front springs rear mount that would be great. I would also like to know your motor # that is stamped pass side rearward on engine block just below manifold. #s stamped onto top of your cylinder head and stamped into your manifold would also be great. Trying to put these #s together to get a pattern showing how things may have transpired when they were building these cars. Thanks for any info.

Yeah, there are dual wipers, with two wiper motors mounted to the inside of the frame. I never thought that it might not be a stock setup, but there wasn't anything obvious that looks 'aftermarket' or home installed either. I'll try to get a pick of the interior and exterior frame with the motors in it.

I'll work on getting all the numbers too. I got the car with a spare block which I think might be the original. I will probably never know since my dad got rid of the spare block on accident thinking it was one of his. frown.gif

Guest 1930

I would like to see your wiper set-up, I guess that maybe I am waiting for someone to tell me that I am wrong, that there was a dual wiper motor set-up for DA. I have never seen or heard but I dont know it all. Those original wiper motors are VERY hard to find and if both of your motors match it would seem extrodinary that someone was able to find an install two of them after the fact but then again maybe it was done long ago when the wipers were more avail.

Dont worry so much about the motor, chances are pretty good that you might still have a motor in your car that might still fall in line with your prod. sequence on your car.

And if it doesnt I still would not lose any sleep over it unless you wanted to get really anal about it in which case it would not be to hard to find another motor that fits with your car. If you decide to give me the #s I asked for than I can tell you where you stand with all of that.

Ok, I took pics of everything I could find. Hopefully, the body tag is the one mounted to the firewall, since there was no tag on the passenger floorboard. I think the frame numbers are buried under paint.

Engine: H 117706

Manifold: 210 403 6

Firewall tag: 172 3869

Head: rearmost number - 23528

middle number - 210100

Dual wiper exterior 1

Dual wiper exterior 2

Dual wiper interior pic

Pic of passenger wiper from the side

Pic of the engine numbers

Pic of the body tag mounted to firewall?

Pic of where frame numbers should be, I think

Pic of the head numbers Pic of the manifold numbers

Let me know if they aren't clear or don't work!

I just noticed that my motors look like the top one, but are upside down. Mine must not be stock, since the 'bowl' part of the motor are on the bottom and yet the control is still on the left side. It looks like there are original mounting holes in the frame on the driver side that are wider then what is in there now too. Darn it, its beginning to look like someone messed up the frame by drilling holes in it for these motors. mad.gif

Rob, I think your wiper motor is correct with the "bowl" side down as that is the way mine is, but I've never seen a dual vacuum setup like yours. I've only seen a dual setup with one wiper on the motor, one wiper on just a pivot and then a connecting rod in between; so both wipers are controlled by one motor. Interesting.