New To Packards

olds350cutlass

hi my name is jon and i need some help i just got a 1956 packard clipper super it is a 4 door and i have the original 352 motor and a trans i know nothing about packards are they just like anyother old car i have a 75 oldsmobile cutlass that i have done motor work to and in the process of painting the car now back to the packard does it used regular oil and coolant or is there something special i need to use also what is the trans i have no clue what it is the car has original push button shift i do know its automatic thats about it and if anyone has anymore info to help me out it will be very thankful

Congratulations on your Packard. Regular ethylene glycol antifreeze, regular oils --nothing special there although people have their preferences about brand, viscosity etc 10W30 was a spec'd one in 56. The trans fluid was originally type A which is NLA so most have settled on type F as the best alternative--again lots of opinions. The PB trans actuator is all electric and unique so best to understand it thoroughly. A wrong move might prove expensive. Same with the Ultramatic. Might I suggest you also post on www.packardinfo.com. That is where most of the V8 Packard people hang out and there's considerable original documentation and people with knowledge of your specific car there.

Guest bkazmer

check if you have a conventional suspension or the Torsion Level - you can tell the latter by two long torsion bars. This is not like usual cars of the era.

Guest Orphanauto

There are 2 main Packard clubs. www.packardclub.org is a cool website. You can learn alot from that site, which also has a forum, chat room. You can get lots of your questions answered here as there are a lot of Packard owners here that are very helpful. I have meet lots of really informed and nice people here. Hope to see it someday, best of luck with it.