The car designed for women

Guest Hugh32

Guest Hugh32

About a minute and 6 seconds into this little film there is a folding car for women. I'd never seen anything like it, but there are a lot of things I've never seen. Anyone know the make?

The internet is loaded with people asking this same question about the car in this video. It's British, and it appears to be a very early 1920's film. The registration plate is consistent with that, but doesn't pinpoint the car or it's location beyond somewhere in Great Britain.

It may well have been a one-off, built for the film short itself as entertainment.

When I was five or six there was a retired light Albion truck it the yard behind the engineers shop of the family sawmill, and it was very like those public transport devices at the start. The one with the single wheel at the back is Darwin Awards equipment. If the single tyre at the back deflates in motion, cars like that (and one maker proudly/recklessly built them for years) became excess population disposal machines. One fellow I know of in NSW restored one of those, but will not drive it. Ivan Saxton

Hi,

PM is a British registration issued by the East Sussex County Council based in Lewes and also containing Brighton (of the veteran car run fame). Unfortunately the dating data has been lost between 1908 and 1924. In 1924 it had reached PM4311 and 1925 PM7065. This suggests that registration PM1931 was probably 1922/3. - So that advises where and when. As to what......

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org