Are three brake shoes better than two?

There's a long winding thread going on here lately started by outlaw car man re: 1932 Dodge Brothers brakes,drums,rear axles,etc. So, when I was out in the back 40 looking in the junk pile, this caught my eye: a 1929 Dodge DA rear-end sitting right next to a spare 1932 Packard rear-end...Just a little difference... DB's juice brakes vs. Packard's mechanicals...the Packard drum contains THREE shoes! Getting these drums off was some fun too. After 3 days of soaking with penetrant, then heat, we finally applied a heavy duty drum puller with a 1" impact fed with 2 air hoses. And still NOTHING...Frustrated, we took a lunch break, and about a 1/2 hr. later BANG! Like A gunshot the drum popped! Nearly soiled myself!

post-54582-143138055506_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138055513_thumb.jpg

Actually Jack, this 3-shoe setup was designed by Bendix and was used in a lot of cars in the late 20's-early 30's. See attachment. The parking brake operates basically thru the same 3 shoe setup on the front axle; when you pull the handle you mechanically expand the three brake shoes of each front wheel. This car's drums are a whopping 16" in diameter. They finally came to their senses by 1937 when the drum diameter dropped back to 12" like the Dodge DA.

post-54582-14313805606_thumb.jpg