alignment problem

Guest dpannell

Guest dpannell

I have fought what I thought to be an alignment issue since ownership of my 90 coupe. 2 very reputable alignment shops have jumped up and down swearing it is "perfect" but the problem remains.......I now believe them due to 30k miles and no adverse wear on the tires.

driving on a straight flat (not crowned) road the car will drive straight until I hit a small bump....it then veers lightly to the left. everytime. It also seems to require a little more pressure to steer left than it does right.

The only thing that has not been replaced or rebuilt is the power steering pump, hoses and rack assembly. There are no noises or leaks. (struts, bushings,balljoints,cv shafts, axle bearings, a-frame bushings, body mounts, sway bar links and bushings all replaced in last 18 mos.)

I have read a little about the "preload" for the rack. The manual says it can cause the steering to not return to center.

THe manual also points to low pump pressure.

Has anyone experienced this problem or know the cure?

Dave

ps. The coupe has 174k

I put my money on the rack being a bit loose. I mean the bolts, I just had this issue, mine was brought on by the square bolt (tack welded) breaking loose from the subframe. You can tighten the rack bolts with 3 feet of extention and a 15mm socket. With out this set up it is very hard to properly tighten the four bolts on the rack. I would also chek to see if the lower blots are still tacked in place.

Guest craig hewitt

i didnt see that you replace upper strut bearings being a alignment man at a buick dealership all the while the car was coming in for service that was a major issue if you pull the wheel hard to the right will it follow that way for a little while or left ???? thats a good test next what was the caster readings they should give you a print out craig

Guest dpannell

Craig....I had also heard that a worn strut mount could cause the same problem.... Mine were changed but the problem still exists.

Daniel, I haven't personally inspected the rack assembly...but will. Were your symptoms the same? Dave

Guest craig hewitt

after replacing thousands of s/gears and rebuilding (binds cold ) condition i can tell you preloading the gear is not that hard loosen jam nut and tightin adjusting nut ( i think 13 16ths socket ) and back off one flat and thats it. Normally caster plays a big role on are cars you would like the right wheel to be slightly ahead of the left and as much caster as you can makes the car just a little harder to get out of straight mode. tires can play a big role also swaping left to rgt to check for pulls than rotating them to the back good luck let me know if i can help with other ideas Craig