1942 Buicks

jeff_a

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, with production ceasing Feb. 5, 1942 to switch over to wartime effort, there were under 100,000 1942 Buicks built (compared to over 300,000 for 1941) of all models. So, they are quite rare.

The relative rarity alone makes them somewhat desirable. While a pre-war car, with the straight 8, they are very capable in terms of road speeds and driveability (based on my experience with my '41).

If I had the opportunity and the space to add one to the fleet, I would definitely consider it.

Derek,

Did you see the 42 Roadmaster 2 Door Sedanette at Rochester? It was on the front lawn, shaded. Awesome.

Jeff,

42 Buicks are highly sought after. It was the 2nd Year for Harley Earl's Sedanette fastback architecture. It was the 1st year for Buick's renowned "Pop Art" grille, which only got toothier through 1954, and is even sported on modern Buicks.

The smooth integration of the grille, along with new side styling on most of the cars (Super/Roadmaster) meant modern styling that wore well into the post war years, and was the equal of the Clipper from Packard.

Buick styling was more graceful then even Cadillac due to the front to back side styling which emphasized lowness, a trend Earl would hammer home through his last years. (Long/low/wide)

Buick had tasteful dashes and smart interiors, not overly complicated with chrome and colors as Chrysler and others emphasized. Art Deco touches imbued the gauges and gave a quiet artful simplicity to the functional purpose of same.

The models that stand out are obviously the 2 door Sedanettes, the massive Limiteds, of which one member on this forum has 2 of them, of which I tried to buy one of these same 2 about 3 years ago. He bought both of them, moved them from California to Texas and I have not heard about them since.

The Specials show well too but don't carry the dramatic body styling of the bigger bodies.

11 years ago I spotted a 42 Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette in the "Multi-Makes Cars For Sale" section of Hemmings. It was an absurd $800 or so. I called the fellow, who was in South or North Dakota and had a good conversation with him. He basically was a family outfit, on ranch land - and they as a family had collected these stray cars over the years. You know the story, same 'ol, same 'ol.

Anyway, he sends me photos. The front hubs were sold off of it and I was no Buick expert (now i know 42 to 48 hubs would have worked. More alarming was the missing stainless side trim, which is rare - raelly rare. It had some of the stainless side trim but was missing some sections. the 2 doors have long sections of straight stainless, I believe 2 spears running the length of the cars.

The interior was all there, as was the drivetrain. The sheetmetal good and straight, grille OK. I mean - 42's are so rare that you hold your breath on project cars hoping that all these pieces are intact and restorable.

I hemmed and hawed, went down a different pathe ultimately and regretted it ever since. That's a halo car to me, a collection cornerstone for it's size, styling, and rarity, all wrapped in what Derek notes a true roadability.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago (I actually think about this car every 6 months or so) I decided to try and send a letter to him. I can't remember how I knew but I think I had some old notes with his name and general location. I think I sent a letter to his name in a town in South Dakota after doing some internet research. I never got the letter back but I never got a response.

I don't know what the moral of that story is since this sin't the 1st car I have passed on, but I know I will never forget 42 Buicks.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Derek,

Did you see the 42 Roadmaster 2 Door Sedanette at Rochester? It was on the front lawn, shaded. Awesome. </div></div>

Must have...of course my memory is shot...I'll have to look at pictures now...shucks darn...looking at photos of a National in the dead of winter...I don't know how I'll get through it wink.gif

Derek,

Thanks for answering my question about 1942 Buicks. I didn't know if they were just a little footnote to Buick's history or not. Amazing they got so many cars built in just 5 weeks of production, if you're saying that close to 100,000 cars were put together between Jan. 1 and Feb. 5. In addition, I wasn't sure if I should ask my question in the Pre-war or Post-war Buick Forum, since '42 is really neither.

I suppose it's possible that a lot of the 1942-model-year cars were built in the Aug. to Dec. period after a model year changeover before the first of the year, which carmakers have been doing for a long time.

Guest cardinal905

I recently bought an "A" body sedan, was told it is one of three known to exist. It has a 49 motor in it though---still cant wait to start the project, have to get back on my Maxwell as that comes 1st. You can see the picture of the car in "ME AND MY BUICKS" section. A question on that motor, would it be prudent to look for a 42 motor or just stay with the 49 ?

Bryan,

I guess there <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> interest out there in 1942 Buicks. Thanks for replying. I had the ad sitting around until last night, when it disappeared. The car may be long gone, of course, but it was in the Missoula, MT <span style="text-decoration: underline">Grizzly Nickel </span> shopper on Nov. 19th. The other information on it was that it had a straight 8, that it was a 4-door sedan, and that the body was "Exc.".

Since this car is a '42, I guess you could say that it was the last-of-the-line of the progression of Buicks from when they were founded to WWII. If you had a big pre-war Buick collection it would be nice to represent the newer designs with one.

I did look at a website about early Buicks yesterday and someone was of the opinion that sustained speeds of 95 were possible in a circa-1942 Buick and that Buicks of this era were called "banker's hot-rods". Somewhere I heard that '36 Buick Centuries were the first Buick that would do a hundred, and that the engine was given more horsepower as the years went by. I also read that Series 60 production for 1942 was 3,319 4D Sedans and 1,232 for Sedanets.

The speeds listed above, if accurate, are pretty good for the size of the vehicles. I'm not sure if I'd want to try it myself, though!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Cardinal:

I think it depends on how accurately you want to restore the car. A 1948 and later straight eight is visibly different from a 1947 and earlier because of the major change in engine mounting starting in 1948.

Regards, Dave Corbin

The rumor was that 36 Centurys were so named because they could go 100 mph but remember this is the age of the higher speed railroad. We saw the ZEPHYR at Lincoln, Buick's Limited and the Chrysler Airflow was featured in ads with high speed trains. My guess is there was one or more "Century" trains around the mid to late 30's and Buick wanted to align themselves with that appeal.

Guest cardinal905

Thanks for the input Dave, do you know if the motor mounts were mounted in the same holes or do you anticipate they drilled new holes in the frame. I would love to have that car be accurate but dont want to spend a couple grand extra that would get me upside down quicker than I assume I will already be---you know. Also Paul told me the 49 motor had the better bearings, is that correct?

By better bearings I believe he meant insert bearings which are easier to work with then Babbit bearings. (I am no expert on Babbitt bearings but I believe material is poured in, Hemmings Classic cars had an article on Babbitt Bearing manufacture and technique 2 years ago.

Nonetheless, I believe that insert bearings can be used on older Buick straight eqights with the cranks ground.

My 49 Roadmaster had a motor mount near the front on either side of the front, so I understand what Dave is referencing.

Cardinal,

I looked at the photos of your '42 and '26 Buicks and thought they were both pretty nice. I don't know enough about 40's Buicks to comment much about the '49 vs. '42 engines.

Once I went to an Eisenhower commemoration at the Presidential Library and there were quite a few WWII reenactors with WWII vehicles present. I remember a big sedan painted OD Green with a white star and "US Army" on the door representing a staff car. It may have been a Ford or a Cadillac. Could you legitimately do that with your 1942, or would that be a stretch because there's no documentation on Buicks being used like this by officers? --Jeff

Guest cardinal905

Funny you mention that Jeff, in the Seventy years of Buick book there is a picture of my car (I was told) that shows it painted green with the Japanese mark of a staff car. My car has remnants of green on some of the bright work so maybe--I am still interested on comments on the motor deal. Anyone got a 42 motor for sale ?