removing chrome trim for body prep

ratrocket

How do I remove the trim pieces from my '56 Olds Holiday coupe?

What special tools are needed? I'm getting ready to start the body work/prepping/rust repair, etc. and my trim is in perfect original condition and I'd like to save it, and put it back on after I spray it.

Thanks for any info/tool selection/advice.

RatRocket

Texas

Guest imported_pete324rock

There is a book that may be available at your local library- or it is available from Eastwood called restoring stainless trim ..or something like that,that covers a lot of it.On olds though,bodyside moldings are attached to clips that have nuts accesible inside doors..it depends on if you want to spray with the clips off or on I suppose.It depends on the condition of the clips as well as to the approach to take.The idea is to not dent the stainless.Clips can be purchased.

All the side molding is held on by clips that have nuts on the back side. You may need all new clips. They are available. They may not be exactly like the old ones but you can get away with a lot of adapting/fudging.........Bob.

Guest imported_pete324rock

I check this board daily so if you get a piece that seems to need a lot of coaxing,give it a try on here...maybe I or Bob here can help.Window moldings are a challenge. Good luck!