Roy Thorson - Gone West

sonofthor

"Gone West" is a phrase adopted by aviators to describe their final flight toward the setting sun. I know Dad had many friends in the LZOC who would want to know that Dad made that flight in the early afternoon of January 21st. He was very proud of his time as a Marine Corps aviator in WWII and Korea. He loved restoring his two Lincoln Zephyrs and the many, many friendships he made as a member of the club. Services will likely be this Saturday or Sunday in Green Valley, AZ. In lieu of flowers, I'm sure Dad would love if you made a donation to the Lincoln Motorcar Heritage Foundation. He was very proud that his 1936 Coupe-Sedan is part of their collection.

Thank you all!

DadHelicopter.jpg

Hello Craig -

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I only knew him over the phone, but he was always friendly and very patient in helping me with the many, many questions I had. Here's a pic he sent me (that you or your brother took). I know this is a tough time for all of you, but you also should be proud to have had such a great father.

post-31207-143138037241_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toyopet

I am proud to say that Roy was a great friend and he also had started the Lincoln Zephyr club chapter in Southern Calif. I remember going to his house for the first meeting in Calif the rest is history. I was also involved in building the engine in his 1936 sedan and help him install it in the car with white gloves. I am very sadden by his passing away last week Roy will be very missed by all of his friends in the hobby.

Frenchy Dehoux

V12 Lincoln Engine builder