Help on making reflective lens

Pat

I'm wanting to restore the sail panel emblems on my 64 Starfire. Problem is the chromer will dissolve the red reflective part inside the outline. Has anyone found a resin or method to redo an emblem I could try to make these right? Is there a technical term for how these were made originally that I could google? Any help is appreciated. Pat

The term is "cloisonne". Involves pouring molten glass enamel into the emblem and then firing it at high temperatures to "set" it. At one time there were a couple of companies doing this but can't remember who they were offhand.

Good luck finding a set. I searched for 15 years, then found two pair at the 1997 Centennial meet auction. I paid serious money for both sets and doubled my money selling the extra set before I left Lansing.

You also need to be careful on NOS pieces as the coupe roof emblems are different from the convertible front fender emblems, though they appear identical. They mount differently. Roof emblems have machine threaded mounting studs; fender emblems have potmetal studs for tinnerman nuts.

Glen, looking at the NOS, anything special about the emblem? Obviously mine are too old to tell specifics. I assume the entire piece is chromed with the red inserts. Nothing is left copper colored or anything is it? Thanks for the info and I'll start diggin. Pat

They're chromed potmetal, meaning they didn't take a lot of pains with them. The ones on the blue Starfire have a kind of grayish cast to them where the plating has worn off, and also in the recesses where the red has flaked off.

P/N:

Roof- grp 12.812, p/n 4427379, emblem, roof extension panel (Star), 1964 S/Fire H.C. Cost $11.55 in 1974. I wish I could have got them for ten times that in 1997.

Front fender- grp 8.147, p/n 384642, ornament package S/Fire conv. Cost $11.45 in 1974. Just noticed this is only the RH so there was apparently some difference between sides, and RH is the only one the 74 parts book shows. That stands to reason since the LF fender usually took any hit the car was involved in. LH could have been 641 or 643.

I like to use Testors "Tail Light Red" (transparent candle apple red) paint, it is sold at your local hobby shop. It only somes in a small glass bottle. The Chrome and textured area will still show like "cloisonne".

Be sure to clean the area with brake clean first then wash with dish soap to remove any wax or oil.

You will have to remove the emblems, lay them flat and fill the ressesed area with the paint. It will level out as it dries.

It will only cost you a few bucks, if you do not like it remove it with the brake clean.

Neil

have you checked out the hobby/chafts store? look for christmas ornimats, they have a pot metal frame, you put plastic beads in the spaces and melt in the oven..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

There is also another way to achieve a reflective quality. After the part is re-chromed if needed, paint the area with white reflective striping paint (Lowes or Home Depot) then apply the Testors as mentioned above. Following with a couple of passes of clear recommended to protect the paint never intended for sun exposure.

A second option is to use clean glass beads from your media blasting cabinet over Garnet Red spray touch up paint, followed by a couple of passes of clear. A small amount of glass beads can probably also be obtained from many sign shops.