64 394 with a 59 hydramatic into a 62 Olds

Bill Yacey

The '59 transmission likely will not clear the hump in your '62 Olds.

Among the other "virtues" of the Slim-Jim trans touted on its debut in 1961 was the significantly lower floor hump compared to earlier years. Seen side-by-side, the Slim-Jim is quite a bit smaller than the older hydramatic.

Unfortunately, there's no easy replacement for the Slim-Jim in '61-64 Oldsmobiles. Older hydramatics will bolt right up to the engine, but they won't clear the body of the car. Fitting a later transmission to the 394 is an expensive, pitfall-laden option that requires adapter plates, as well as modifying the driveshaft & the crossmember.

Is your Slim-Jim dead, or you just don't like it?

For what it would cost to install something else, I'd just as soon get used to the quirks of a functioning Slim-Jim! grin.gif

Chuck

I thought it would be nice to get rid of the Slim Jim once and for all, and put in a solid transmission that will take the torque that this engine will provide. I've seen too many cracked aluminum torque converter housings on these Slim Jims, and they seem to have excessive slippage. Maybe it would be worth the effort to retrofit a 4L80.