401 Nailhead for sale

65' 401 Nailhead for sale. 0 miles on a 18 year old rebuild. Been sitting for a while. Stock rebuild, no exhaust manifold, spreadbore intake, no carb, and no fan. It's on e-bay for the next week at <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=410210779" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=410210779</A> <BR>I'll post a reply if it's sold or not.<BR>

• 10 months later...

Hello Hubbards-<P>This is not the same engine that I am buying, is it? wink.gif" border="0 <P>We should be able to close the deal this week on the ~63 401 dynaflow motor - I owe you for the shipping, plus the remaining $50 for the engine.<P>Mark<BR>mark_schmerbeck@amat.com

Oh My-<P>I just realized that the original message on this thread was from AUGUST 2000!!!<P>Ringger, you went looking way back for this!<P>FYI, the only automatic that this engine will bolt to is a Dynaflow. The seller first thought that the engine was a 65, but it turned out to be an early one from about 63 and I plan to use it with a dynaflow.<P>Sorry! (whew..) Looks like the deal is still on for sure!<P>Ringger-<P>I do have a 401 available for sale that WILL bolt to a non-dynaflow transmission. It is well used, ran when removed, but burns oil. Would be a great core for a rebuild. I am in Austin, TX. Let me know-<P>Mark

It is my understanding that all 401 engines will fit transmission regardless of year. eg;<BR>59 401 w dyna flow will fit 65 gs with power glide if an adapter bushing is used to correct end crank bore size. If this is not correct please advise as I just sent out a 59 401 to rebuilders to use in my 65 gs restoration. Not a cheap endevor, as you all now know rebuild parts are outrageously priced-(But I love my Buick and the kids can still eat, even if the house roof leaks a little.)

Go slowly on trying to mix early and late 401 s.The 59-63 have a large opening for Dynaflow,64-66 are different. I used a 63 in a later car,but I used a 64 C/shaft.and be careful there,the 64 up have wider thrust surface on the center main.64 center main will not fit in a 59-63.I have a near-new "300"transmission that fits the back of a 64-66 401

Woah - i though this ad had disappeared into cyberspace. Long time no see.<P>Ringger - the engine is sold. As far as a souce for short/long blocks - this forum is as good as any. There's a bunch of diehard nailheaders at <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuickNailHead/join" TARGET=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuickNailHead/join</A> <BR>You have to do a registration dance to join up but it's worth it. Someone should have a lead for you there.<P>Mark - she's all crated up.<P>Robin - the flywheel that came with your '59 is the wrong application that you need. It must come from a ST300/400 not a dynaflow. The dynaflow series of cranks use a completely different flywheel. Once you track down a flywheel you will need to have the mounting hole enlarged just a tad to clear the larger dynaflow style crank flange - or have the flange milled. It sounds like you are in the know about the bushing which is necessary as well. Other than that - it's a bolt on.<P>MrBuick174 - that's good info to know about the post '64 center main difference from the earlier mills.<p>[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: c_ehubbard ]

Interesting the way these things come together...<P>Robin-<P>I would gladly trade you a stock flexplate from a 65 401 (just needs to have the center bore enlarged, bolts to an ST400) - <BR>for your 59 dynaflow flexplate. I need one but I had not started to search for one yet.<P>Hub-<P>Final funds are in transit!<P>Mark<P>[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Mark Schmerbeck ]<p>[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Mark Schmerbeck ]

• 1 month later...