1972 98 with automatic heater AC

John E

I have a 72 with the automatic climate control. the water valve is leaking. anyone have any Ida were one might get one. or what one can use to make a repair on this type of system. from what I can tell they only used this valve 3 years and it housed the temp sensor. I can't find anythig to match up.

My 1974 Olds parts book and a 1978 GMPD airconditioning book show you need Grp. 9.795 p/n 411823. Picture shows it is a linkage operated water valve that accommodates the screw-in temp sensor switch.

A lot of Olds and other GM applications use a straight diaphram operated valve without the linkage, and have provision to screw the temperature sensing switch into it. I think you can adapt one of these to your 72, since the temp sensor is the same p/n for many years.

Try getting one for a 1973-4 Cutlass or even a 77-80 88 or 98 and see if it will adapt. As long as the intake threads and temp sensor switch match up, it should work. Vacuum is only applied to it when system is in Max Cooling mode.

Unless you're willing to dig thru ebay or obsolete parts vendors for the correct switch, this is one of those situations where "fit and function are correct" (a favorite quote of mine from Ames Performance Engineering Pontiac catalog!).

thanks for the info the AC site is a new find for me. the part pictured is for the standard cable controlled heater AC

they are still around any were from 34 bucks at napa to this Del-co at 70 bucks. I have the automatic system on this one. the other ambulance is the standard system. so nice to know that parts are still around for it. what is stumping me is the thermal switch for the relay ground. I can find all the thermal switches but only the high tem show a value. this one ground out at 120 deg. of course it broke off trying to get it out of the housing so a replacement on is in order. thought of using the standard water valve as it works the same and a relay to ground the relays when the ignition is turned on. I'm still looking a caddy stuff but Buick would most likely be closer to Olds. at least on 72 they used the same one.

John, look close at the bottom of that valve Paul linked to. That's the part I was talking about where the temp sensor can screw in. Looks like p/n have been combined, because that 78 A/C book definitely shows the same linkage type valve as the 72 shop book.

The temp sensor in the water valve should ground at 120 degrees to allow the system to operate and the blower to start. The other one on the evaporator case should operate at 70 degrees.

I sure was glad when they got rid of all the automatic crap and went to TempMatic. It also has its moments, but at least it's not as hard to diagnose as Comfortron.

some intresting things thave happend with this one. I did find the low blower relay at NAPA and only there I have yet to see it but the tell me it will be in. the valve pictures is plastic it does have the tap for the switch. but tought to get plastic to ground out. discovered that the replacment one from NAPA for the 72 has th etap and it's steel. found a switch from another sorce that works in that temp range it was t threaded of a cors thred the valve a find thread. a handy tap cured that. i did get it all togather and working. not just waiting for the relay to get in to see if the other half of the controles work. glad I only have one of these. my other 72 is cable controled.

http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747# there are a few pictures of the event here.

• 2 weeks later...