Help on brake flush job!

Guest RattyOne

Guest RattyOne

How do you get all the old fluid out of the brake reservoir? m My 89 has what looks to be a check valve right on the floor of the upper part of the unit. There is a lot of fliud hels in the deep part that i cannot get at. any suggestions? PS - my fluid looks a lot like dirty 10W oil. probably never changed. How can I get the crud off the walls of the reservoir? Ol' Ratty doing fine but need to preserve her better these days.

The resevoir has a hose coming out the bottom....that is a gravity feed to the pump. Unplug the "L" shaped plastic fitting and let it drain. If you feel lucky and feel you need to clean the resevoir, take the resevoir off the unit and back flush alcohol through the hose. This will partially clean the filter and inside of the resevoir. Use alcohol because it will clean and also does not contain water and will mix with the brake fluid.

Tips.... on the side of the pump housing...where the "L" fitting enters...there is a small retaing wire clip...look for a dab of red paint. Pull the clip, and carefully wiggle and pull on the "L" fitting to remove it from the housing. If that area is dirty when you start, clean the outside to avoid getting dirt into the system.

If you decide to remove the resevoir...there is one or two screws holding it on top of the master cylinder. then carefully pry up as there are at least two ports that go into the master cylinder, don't loose the rubber fittings.

post-30596-143138018231_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138018233_thumb.jpg

Guest steakneggs

I wouldn't disturb that plastic fitting if I was you. I can't budge the one attached to my old pump ('88). If you break it you'll be buying a pump. I wouldn't even remove the hose from that end. Take it off the reservoir end instead. If you do remove the reservoir, there is one allen bolt holding it on the valve block side. In addition to the two rubber grommets there is a loose small white plastic donut on the rear spout that you want to watch for when you pry the reservoir off. Steak

Cutting the hose is probably the safest approach. It can be cut on either end and if it is short, readily available at auto parts stores.

Remember brake fluid will damage paint so have a plan on how to deal with the fluid that will come out when you cut or remove that line.

I don't have the part number handy, but last year, the "L" shaped elbow was still available from GM.

Guest F14CRAZY

If you don't feel like jacking up the car I'd cut the side off of a 1 gal coolant jug and on its side it should be low enough to put under the car and catch the fluid