my old Dodge

Guest BEST59

Hallo, i'm Stefano from Italy and with my friend Remo we have bought an old

Dodge to restore. Here , in Italy we haven't american cars tradition and we

haven't any type of documents for knowing the car.

That's incredible but i dont know the exactly type of the car is. Before

starting the restore i want all informations.

Please help me, tell me the model and if there are manuals with spare parts

or workshop manual disposable.

Where is located the chassis number?

it's correct the engine fitted?

the car reference are:

chassis number: 2221591

engine number: 2221591 stamped on the head

post-58984-143138015332_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138015336_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 1929 Dodge Brothers DA touring car. It is a very rare car. The engine number is on the driver's side of the engine just below the cylinder head near the front of the block and should start with the letters DA followed by a number. Here is the information from my book. John

post-37352-143138015341_thumb.jpg

There is also a serial number stamped on the outside of the car frame usually located over the rear axle on the driver's side. It is usually very hard to read without cleaning with a wire brush. By the way...that is a VERY nice car you have found.

Yes that is a very nice car, there may be a data plate attached to the wooden floorboard passenger side first plank that has your car serial #. If not than as Keiser mentioned on passenger side just below head toward the rear of the block will be the engine # but the serial # will be found if I am not mistaken just behind the front axle top portion of the frame approx where the front spring rear portion connects to the frame. As far as manuals there are no service manuals other than the owners manual for your partcular car and they printed three different manuals throughout the DAs lifespan according to the production date of your car but really any one of them will pretty much give you what you need. There is also a parts manual that can be a huge help in a restoration that will give not only part # that help you to assess what interchanges with what but also has many helpfull diagrams of the cars mechanicals. Either of these manuals and many other usefull parts for you car can be purchased thru Romars, or Tom and Cindy Myers, also high quality repro parts can be purchased thru www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com. I sent you also a P.M and maybe I can help you further

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Stefano from Italy! Great find! I am restoring one of these cars also. It's definitely a 1929 Dodge DA Sports Phaeton. I've included a few pictures to make it easier for you to find the serial numbers on the car and I have a couple questions for you. On the second picture near the left rear quarter panel you have a small chrome piece sticking out just to the rear and above the fender. I have never seen this before... Do you know what that is? Second question: just above and to the rear at the top rim of the body, there is a 3/4 inch (19mm) hole in the body. This is a mounting hole for the top rests (the top bows rest on these when the top is down)... Do you have the top rests for your vehicle and if so can you post a picture of them? Last question: do you have any side curtains that you could post a picture of? If you have any questions about this car, I can probably help you out. Thanks, Joe

post-54582-143138017571_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138017573_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138017822_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Many thanks to everybody for your posts.

with your help, i have found the numbers:

chassis; DA 84982

engine; ( i have two) H 71-827, and the second one H 99-783

wich one is correct? are they similar?.

what is the correct engine colour?

there is a colour scheme for the body for this year? (1929)

Idrjoe and keiserand 1930 i will e mail directly other question . Cheers Stefano

Guest DodgeKCL

I suspect the gizmo on the side above the rear fender is a clearance light or marker light. Probably mandated by the Italian DOT. British versions of American cars had them on the top of the front fenders on a little pedestal. The British ones were 12 volt Lucas lamps installed locally at Kew Gardens.