16v Engine Compartment (detailed)

Guest LouZ

I just finished cleaning and touching up some spots that needed paint.. Oil filler cap leaked a little, Found out that it is the same cap & seal as the BiTurbo. My seal was hard, got a softer seal from a BiTurbo valve cover. Closed down the "tangs" .015". hope that works..

Just 3 more things I need to finish it:

1= Battery isolator/insulator case All the mopars of that era came from the factory with them. Mine was missing.

2= I screw assembly in the front radiator pan is missing.

3= Late model hood insulator blanket..

post-49821-143138014724_thumb.jpg

Nice! I'm betting that is a built after july of 88 car, it has the 'late' fuel lines, early went over the top of the valve cover. It also has the later shock covers, the small rubber ones instead of the large plastic ones. Good news is, that makes it a "common block" motor, much improved over the earlier motors. There is extra webbing in the engine block itself making it considerably stiffer/stronger, an improved front main seal/oil pan seal area, different crankshaft and a few other bits. Have a look down next to the oil filter base, if it was a non-common block there would be a little cover plate held on with two bolts. that was for the fuel pump drive (driven off the accessory shaft that turns the distributor) in the waaay early days. All 2.2/2.5's became fuel injected, no more need for a mechanical pump so they did away with the hole in the block and hence the block off plate. Your common block will be nice and smooth down by the filter cool.gif Compare side by side with your 91 and you will see the difference in the top core support, headlight brackets, hood release... all that stuff.

Alan

OK, before you recommend too many other things Alan, I might just insert the information you could want to add to this story.

Before Lou received this car, I went through the externals of this engine, among other things.

This is a common block engine, all the seals have been replaced except the rear main seal. The fuel hoses have all been replaced except the ones to the fuel filter. The timing belt has been replaced as well as all the others. The spark plug wires were made by me, the spark plugs, hall plate, rotor and cap are new. The cooling system was flushed 3 times as per owner and new antifreeze/water 50/50, etc, etc etc.

Hey Hemi,

How you doin.?? ;)They all got that info on the first Topic I opened when the car arrived. Add to all that Mobil 1 10/30. I checked and found out that the Oil Filler Cover is the same as the Maserati BiTurbo V6 of the same era. I found an old gasket/seal that was exactly the same only .008 thinner and quite a bit softer(mine was rock hard). Cleaned it up, replaced it, I tapped the two ears down about .015 Took it out and ran it. ~ No More Leak ~ Also found new ones are available from Maserati dealer for $5.67 ea. I ordered 3. When they arrive I'll know for sure if they are correct..

How do you like the seats. would you say there was much improvement over the original condition.? Lou

As you no doubt know, I rarely get on this forum. I just happened to take a look yesterday and saw Alan's remarks. So I figured he was not up to speed. Who would have thought that, he's usually ahead of everybody. (Hi Alan)

Yes, the seats really look great. You are doing a great job on this car. Have you fixed the seat switches yet? I did notice they were loose but thought you would want something to do on the car over the winter.

Have you bought new tires yet?

I'd be interested in knowing about the oil filler cap gasket/seal as mine is as yours was.

Well, he was not *fully* up to speed. He did know that you were going thru Lou's new car to get it ready for road duty, I didn't know all that would be involved or how far you would need to dig into it... I like that you can remake the plug wires (a well known source of iginition misfire in the 16V cars) and still use the factory valve cover hats. They seal much better than any of the aftermarket ones I've tried.

Maybe after you redo the seat witches over the winter, you can come and tackle mine too Lou wink.gif

Alan