starting problem

rofly1

i have been having intermittent starting problem....after the car has been sitting even overnight turning the key the car doesnt turn over changed the battery terminals.. one mechanic said the battery and alternator were good.. took it to another mechanic he said it needed an alternator so i put a new one on yesterday. When I tried to start it this morning the same situation. No turning over for the first couple of tries and then it starts. Called the mechanic and he said it could be solenoid.

the charge gauge looks like it is right on the center line. It used to be a little above the line.

roger

Guest mark blodgett

I had this problem for about six months, then someone told me to get a new batery DELCO $80.00 That was two years ago, no problems since. It seems the cells in the batery are going dead? Good luck

When you say "Chsanged the battery terminals" does that mean you cut the + and _ wires and installed those clamp on ends? Nothing wrong wth that per se but was the positive cable corroded at all? Green or white chalky stuff on the copper strands? If so, I'm betting thats the problem. Once that corrosion starts it creeps up along the inside of the wire (usually positive cable)and ths makes the resistance of the wire so high that the battery voltage only partially (or not at all) makes it to the starter. Another way to check for the internal corrosion is any bumpy/lumpy/mishapped portions of the cable that indicate something is brewing under there...

Alan

Sounds to me like the starter solenoid is getting tired, Could be a corroded connection, could be a loose wire, could be, could be. It must be checked. I would go to the mechanic that suggested it was a starter solenoid.. The starter is under the manifold and probably the only way to have access is on a lift... Good Luck, lou