Sloppy Steering

caf

I have a 29 Roadster and when I purchased it it would change lanes all by itself the steering was so sloppy. (Had about half a turn of slack.) A friend rebuilt it about 5 years ago and it was much better, but now it is getting sloppy again and is not fun to drive as you have to keep correcting it all the time. It appears that there is no adjustment, is that correct? I really need some advice before I go to all the work to remove it again. Is it possible the 29 gearbox is not a good box to have or are there rebuilt ones availiable that I could buy and exchange??? Sure would appreciate any help or advice you have regarding this. Thanks

I remember having either my worm or sector gear hard chrome plated to remove some of the play. As I remember I had to guess how thick the plating should be as too much will cause the gears to bind. I think I erred on the side of to little but it was acceptable. This was many years ago so the details are a bit fuzzy.

Be sure that the play is in the steering box and not in the linkage befor you do anything drastic like plating gears.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rshunaman

With the steering linkage removed from the box there should not be much play. This should tell you if the box is the issue or other outside linkage. If the steering box is adjusted too tight it will bind and wear out all that much sooner. The Model A Mechanics book by Les Andrews is very helpful, I would suggest purchasing it if you haven't already.

• 2 years later...