401 - Intake Manifold installation

65_wcat

These might seem like silly questions but here goes. When installing the intake manifold gaskets - 1) Does the "raised" side of the gaskets face up (toward manifold) or down (toward heads), 2) Do you use gasket sealer If so, what do you recommend?

I installed a manifold years ago on a 455. I recall using RTV black but I could be wrong.

I just tried installing a Q-Jet manifold today with a supposedly "rebuilt" carb. Let's just say that things did not go well. mad.gif Have a feeling that it's was not rebuilt properly. Put back the original manifold and carb (Rochester - non Q-Jet) and it seems to be idling rough. Trying to find out where I went wrong. eek.gif

Thanks.

Greg

65 Wildcat Deluxe Convertible

65 Wildcat Custom Convertible

I would put the raised part up, but as the surfaces should be flat I suppose you can put them either way. No sealer should be required as there is no coolant in ther, to the best of my knowledge.

As for the roughness, I'd make sure the base gasket on the carb is on properly and that the carb is tightened as evenly as possible. Then I'd look for broken vacuum hoses including the fitting for the hose to the power brakes ( if the car has them)

Good luck

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I looked in the manual and found a reference for the intake gaskets. The "pointed" ends of the gaskets should point inward toward the center of the motor". I guessed right and installed them correctly. However.....

Someone had advised me to install the gaskets "dry". Not always a good idea. Turns out that the rough idle was coming from the intake gaskets.

Since I have dual exhausts, I was able to pinpoint the problem to the drivers side of the motor. It idled as if I had a dead cylinder. I removed each spark plug wire and noticed that when I removed the number 8 wire, nothing happened. Replaced the wire (just in case), no change. Then I then remembered an old trick. I squirted 3 in 1 oil around the base of the intake on the left side and found a leak by the number 8 cylinder intake port. I removed the intake and gaskets and used some Indian Head sealer around the head and the gaskets. Worked like a charm!!! grin.gif

Just wish I could have figured it out on Saturday! LOL!

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Greg