4 cyl engine bearings

dbtravis

I doubt I'll take it that far, but the thought has crossed my mind. I've heard that there is a similar, easier to find, bearing out there (not sure if it's babbit or shell insert)that will fit right in, but you have to cut your own groove(s) for the oil. Obviously I don't know much about this, but thought I'd see if anyone out there has any good ideas or has had experience replacing/repairing their bearings and what all they decided to do.

Babbet bearings have to be poured. Unless you are putting an oil pump and filter on the engine I would not worry about shell bearings. Babbet is much softer and any particles just embed them selves in it. If you do go to shell bearings you will have to machine the rods and turn the crank journals to make sure they are round. Have a nice day.

Jan

Guest backyardmachinc

The DB engines are brass babbitt shells for mains and rods. up to the 6 cylinders( victory,standard,and da 6's) the mention 6 cylinders uses brass babbitt shell main but solid babbitt bearing rods.When we rebuilt these engines we clean up the crankshaft to insure the crankshaft is true then we rebabbitt the main shells install them in the block then line bore to crankshaft size.The rods will be machine to crankshaft size after we pore them.

hope this helps,

Vern.