1991 Brake System

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

Excuse me for my ignorance, for I am still a new Reatta owner, but it seems from the posts that I have seen that the Teves braking system that everyone loathes was only part of the 1988-1990 Reatta. What did GM use on the 91? Was it a whole different system or a revamped Teves system?

JCRULZ

Guest jcrules78

Aha, now that you mentioned that, I have seen a couple of different brake components with Bosch labels on my car while working on different things. GM seemed to have a thing for Bosch in the late eighties/early nineties huh? I know that they relied on German technology to create the Tuned Port intake on my 88 IROC, and it wouldn't surprise me if the TPI in my 91 Reatta is Bosch-produced as well. Anyone have any knowledge on the history of General Motors' dealing with German-owned Bosch Auto Parts? I know they had some dealings in the eighties with Japanese-owned Isuzu when it comes to trannies,too. Interesting stuff.

When GM's Cadillac Division first tried its hand at sports cars in 1987 with the Allante, the bodies were assembled in Italy using the dreaded Bosch ABS system that mirrors, good and bad, the Teves. The bodies were then flown to the US on 747s and put on pretty much the same chassis as the Reatta. I am wondering if this was a shortened version of the Eldorado.

Guest dpannell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When GM's Cadillac Division first tried its hand at sports cars in 1987 with the Allante, the bodies were assembled in Italy using the dreaded Bosch ABS system that mirrors, good and bad, the Teves. The bodies were then flown to the US on 747s and put on pretty much the same chassis as the Reatta. I am wondering if this was a shortened version of the Eldorado. </div></div>

Richard,

Just for a fun fact....I think I heard correctly from the engineers at the Round table in FLint that the Allante was actually a Buick design. Barney may be able to elaborate on this....or correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

I doubt that, Dave. It was designed by Pinnafarina of Italy and badged that way. It was pretty much a hodge podge effort to justify an outrageous price. They used Reccaro seats, a verticle Bose tape deck system that cannot be replaced without butchering the entire console, and a tuned port version of Caddy's 4.1 and later 4.5 V8. It does have the same suspension as the Reatta.