By-pass electric window switch on 1983 Olds Delta 88

Guest erp52

How can I by-pass the electric window switch on my 1983 Olds Delta 88, so I can determine if its the switch that's bad, or worse, the motor itself. The door console switch controls 4 windows. Three work, but the driver's side doesn't.

I notice there is a blue wire, and a brown wire that comes out of the switch that controls the driver's side. And a big fat pink wire, and black wire right in the middle of the unit. Thanks for any info, Ed Parauka

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erp52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can I by-pass the electric window switch on my 1983 Olds Delta 88, so I can determine if its the switch that's bad, or worse, the motor itself. The door console switch controls 4 windows. Three work, but the driver's side doesn't.

I notice there is a blue wire, and a brown wire that comes out of the switch that controls the driver's side. And a big fat pink wire, and black wire right in the middle of the unit. Thanks for any info, Ed Parauka </div></div>

Connect pink (+12V) to blue and black (ground) to brown to make the window go up. Connect pink to brown and black to blue to make it go down.

Joe, I did what you suggested. When I connected the pink jumper wire to the brown connection (To make it go down), it started to smoke and spark. Did I do something wrong, or is this an indication of some other problem. I connected the black (ground) to the blue also. But, doesn't that connection make it go up?

So, I connected the black wire to a metal hinge on the door for a ground. Got the same result, a little smoke on the pink to brown connection. Oh well. Ed Parauka

Yep, probably that's the problem. Thanks again, Joe, for your assistance. I don't relish going behind the panel to get at the motor. It seems impossible to manipulate fingers and tools to get at that d... motor. Ed Parauka