Sunroof repair in Chicago area?

alesco

For me it was a DIY job. Broken driver's side cable. Replaced for $50 used cable. Can probably get more used cables in the $50 range. I can share procedure in great detail if you have an interest. Robert

You can save some big $$$ by DIY. The headliner needs to be removed to drop the mechanism. I don't think you can change a cable without pulling the headliner.<P>Once you are into it that far, you should clean and relube everything.

A member emailed me directly for help. I am also posting my reply for all here.<P>It is straight forward.<BR>Remove the sun visors and their center anchor points. 3 screws at pivot and one at anchor point.<BR>Remove the interior lamp, snap off white cover and remove 2 nuts.<BR>Remove the coat hangars (1 screw) on back pillars and remove the plastic that the seatbelt passes through (1 screw).<BR>Remove the front pillar covers. 2 plastic clips that just push into the pillar.<BR>Put both seatbacks all the way back as though you are a teenager on a heavy date.<BR>The only remaining thing holding the headliner in place is 4 pieces of Velcro. I kid you not! One in the center of each door and the last two on the back edge by the rear window spaced equally on each side of the center. Reach up between the headliner and roof with your hand and separate the Velcro have you have the headliner free.<BR>Flex it only slightly and you have it removed.<P>Next open the sunroof 3 or 4 inches and remove the headliner on the moveable roof panel. It is held on with two rows of 4 or so push pins. Again with your fingers between the headliner and roof pry them apart. It is easy.<P>Now you are staring at the exposed sunroof mechanism. Remove the two bolts in the center rear (obvious to see). Detach the 4 drain hoses. 1 at each corner. Test by blowing through each drain hose. Next you will see 4 nuts and bolts, two on each side of sunroof. Remove them and you have the sunroof roof off! <P>You can put an Allen wrench in the motor and turn it by hand. Do this to test and see what is broken and to confirm your repair.<P>Remove the motor and you will see a gear that sits between the drive cables. One or two likely will be broken or seized.<P>With the replacement cable in hand it will be obvious how to repair. The cable is simply a cable at one and through its length and it has a plastic anchor doodad attached at the other end. Remove the all screws that hold the track in place. With it removed you can slide the plastic working end out of its track and slide the replacement cable back in its place. Remove the broken cable from the tube it resides in, clean and lubricate and install the new cable in its place. Make certain you get the broken portion out. Reassemble, test with Allen wrench, and reassemble.<P>On each corner of the sunroof there is an adjustment nut to make certain the sunroof sits flush with the roof. <P>Reassemble in reverse and then throw a small party with the hundreds of dollars you have saved!<P>If I forgot something it will be obvious when you se it. My advice ... go for it.