Speaking of wheels......

55chevy

I have always liked the white body colored wheels on Select 60 convertibles and have considered doing the same to my 90 conv, except it is Silver now so would easily match the silver 91 wheels I have and not be noticeable. Ever see another combo, like red with red 91 wheels, or blue or green? I have to fix quarter panels and it needs repainted, trying to decide if I want to change color as well, does red go good with gray interior?

I know, bright yellow with yellow wheels! NOT LOL

55Chevy-

I think it best to stay with silver wheels if you will keep the car silver (though this should be obvious I guess). The Select 60 wheels only came in white, other body colors did not have "matching" wheel paint. This is because select 60's were only offered with white paint jobs.

FWIW, some other GM products of the era (maybe a couple of Pontiacs) had alloy wheels that were painted body color. I know I have seen a late 80's red Gran Prix around that had red wheels. Can't say I cared for the look, but it was apparently available as an option.

One other possibility you might consider instead of painting 91 style rims to match the body color you choose, is to have the inset (black "highlight" line around edge of scalloped part of wheel face) redone in the same color as the car. this would be more subtle, and would kind of tie the wheels to the body color. Much the same as the pin stripe usually matches the interior color.

Finally, red looks okay over a grey interior. This was one of the available factory color combinations, but red over tan seems to have been much more popular based on production data. I have seen a red over grey in person, and it doesn't look bad in my opinion. That, however, is purely subjective.

KDirk

Guest weewilly

I have a 1990 red coupe with a grey (light grey) interior. I make a point that the interior is light because I have seen the 1998 1and 1999 grey interiors and they are much darker than mine. I prefer the lighter color and really like the color combination on mine. Again that is all subjective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDirk </div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Select 60 wheels only came in white, other body colors did not have "matching" wheel paint. <span style="color: #FF0000">This is because select 60's were only offered with white paint jobs.</span></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barney Eaton

Long Time Member Registered: Fri Nov 12 1999

Loc: Georgetown TX USA

There is no visible difference between a 1988 standard coupe and the Select Sixty.

Based on a couple of know 1988 Select Sixtys, we have determined that all 55 were made around vin number 901000

<span style="color: #FF0000">All that we have documented have been black with tan interior</span>, 16 way seat. No sunroof as they were not available on these early '88's.

The only way to detect a 1988 Select Sixty is by the X22 code on the Service Parts label. X22 was apparantly an internal accounting code (or money bucket) that allowed these cars to be tracked.

There was a special hood emblem for these cars but few actually had the emblem. At the time the cars were made, the emblems were not finished, so the cars were shipped with standard emblems and the special "Select Sixty Buick Dealers" hood emblem was shipped to the dealer when they became available. By the time the emblem arrived, many dealers had already sold the car and the emblem was tossed in a drawer.</div></div>

Barney,

Perhaps I need some clarification. I was thinking of the 1990 convertible select 60's (not 1988's) which got the 91 style wheels in white, since these were the wheels under discussion.

I thought I had read here (or somewhere) that they were all white, with choice of interior accent color. Or was this simply a special option package and not a select 60 car? Maybe I am confusing two different things here; speaking from memory this can happen.

The 88's were a different situation and you are correct about the black/tan of course.

Regards,

KDirk