COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

driver's side electric window won't operate, 1983 Olds Delta 88

Guest erp52

Guest erp52

How can I troubleshoot my electric window problem on my 83 olds delta 88 4 dr. sedan. The control console sits on the door panel. The switches work the 3 other windows, but the switch for the driver's side doesn't work the window. I suspect it might be the switch, since it probably gets more use. I hate to think it might be the motor. Who can ever work behind the panel for this job. It's impossible to manipulate tools and fingers there. Thanks, Ed Parauka

Ed,

Your best bet is to pop the switch out of the door panel and unplug the switch, then jump with the wires for that window and see if you can get it to operate. If that works, then you need a switch. It if doesn't, you've got another problem. Could be a motor, could be a broken wire in the conduit, could be something else.

I also saw your post in the wanted section. That switch is still available at you local GM dealer. Expect to pay in the $120 range, I think.

Paul

Guest acboxer

Most parts stores carry the switch for around $50 or go to upull and pick up a handfull from GM cars for about a$1.00 a piece at our local upull. I'll bet its bad connection on the bottom of switch from water getting in switch try cleaning the connection where wires connect to switch remove little bkue lock then pull of wire connector tp clean posts on switch

Guest erp52

Thanks guys for replies. What wires do I jump? Those color ones are confusing. Do I separate the two units? I'm a novice when it comes to these things. Please forgive me. Ed Parauka

Guest Moepar

I am having this problem with my '76 Cutlass. It is the switch in my case, and the passenger side part rarely works right from the driver's side 'master' switch (works fine from the passenger side). I can find new 4 door driver's door switches (4 position switch) all day long, but nothing for the two door which is what I have. I have one switch that I found new years ago, but its now going bad.

As of two years ago, the local dealership (used to sell Olds, now sells all other GM products) was able to get the window switch for the '79's & newer, so you may want to check with them if you can't find it anywhere else.

I was lucky that the fella at the dealership was an old car nut, so he did take the time to look stuff up for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Its either the switch,the motor or a break in the wires and the pull the door panel and put a test light on the wires going to the motor and if it lights up when you go both ways on the switch you have a bad motor. If the motor is bad sometimes you can tap on it with a hammer and it will start working. Jeff