Accelerator Pump in 37

dodge55

Does anyone know how the accelerator pump should function in a Carter carb? In the Stromberg, the pump seems to activate after the throttle has been somewhat depressed (throttle plate opens with no tension, then spring tension from pump is felt). The Carter seems to have spring tension right away from pump, then no tension after fully open, just the opposite from the Stromberg. In other words: Stromberg; throttle begins to open then pump kicks in. Carter: pump kicks in right away as throttle plate opens (spring to throttle linkage actually keeps pump spring in check). Thanks.

Steve V

Steve, Carter produced anywhere from 3 to 6 BBR-1's each year from 1932 to 1938 for Plymouth, trying to make one work. Dodge didn't use the BBR-1 on passenger vehicles after 1933.

The design of the various BBR-1's changed from year to year; but, in general on MOST carburetors build specifically for Chrysler, the carburetor was normally open, as opposed to normally closed for other carburetors. The positioning of the pump spring caused the throttle to be normally open. This led to my earlier comment about ALWAYS using TWO throttle return springs on early Chrysler products.

The throttle return spring (external to the carburetor, on the throttle linkage) causes the carburetor to close. Therefore, the pump will operate immediately when the footfeed is depressed.

Jon.

Thanks for the info. That's the answer I was hoping for. I am putting a 37 Plymouth engine in my 37 Dodge since the Dodge has a cracked block and Plymouth engines were readily available in my area. I still have the Stromberg carb from the Dodge. Should I use that, or keep the Carter with the Plymouth? Thanks.

Steve V