2008 Sully Antique Auto Show

Guest Bluesky636

Guest Bluesky636

I finally finished editing and posting my photos from the Sully show (375 of them!) I filled an entire 2GB CF card before I got to the host club's Model A's. Of course my spare card was back in my camera bag on the other side of the show field and I was too hot and tired to get it and come back. frown.gif

Enjoy.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/564090838YCNDQM

Guest Bluesky636

Well, not wanting to start an arguement about what constitutes an "antique," the show is open to cars from 1974 (34 years old) and older. In Virginia, a vehicle qualifies for antique status at 25 years. This show has been going on for 35 years. My car is the RED 1964 Galaxie in the first few photos. It is 44 years old (well 45 years by the build date). I am 54 years old. I think in one way or another everything mentioned qualifies as an antique. grin.gif

I just expected to see a bunch of brass and pre war cars when I saw the name antique though my post was some what tonque in cheek. Iy was just my perception of the use of the word antique in a car show title. Antique cars where way before my time cry.gif You typically see more of the word "classic" which can start its own debate.

You know 1974 was just yesterday wink.gif

Just to let you know where my mindset is. My 1st "antique" car was a 64 T-Bird which I just sold. Then I bought a 55 Chevy pickup. Then I bought a 32 Packard and I just purchased a 1912 Cadillac. I am running out of years to purchase in the current direction I'm going.

Guest Bluesky636

Well, if at the first show 35 years ago (1973), the cars had to be at least 34 years old, that would have made the newest car there a 1939. Also, like I said in my first post, I filled up my memory card before I got to the Model A's and older and was too lazy to go get my spare. tired.gif

You know you are getting old when you start seeing the toys you played with as a child show up in "antique" stores. shocked.gif

Thanks a lot for posting the photos. There is a considerable amount of time & trouble involved in such an endeavor, especially in light of the fact that you shot over 400 photos. Regarding the comments about what constitutes a true antique, I grudgingly have to admit that there are many cars which are now considered "classic" or "antique" which may not really qualify in my own personal mindset. 65-up Mustangs, 60's Camaros, Cudas, Roadrunners, etc., may be some of the most beloved cars of all time to many - and, deservedly so, I guess - but, at my present 55 years of age, these were new cars when I started really paying attention to cars in the mid sixties. Across the street from my parents house was my mother's parents, where in their backyard were such vehicles as: 36 Ford coupe, 51 Mercury 2dr, 36 Chev coupe, 36 Ford 2dr, 46 Plym conv., 53 Olds 4dr. These cars belonged to Mom's twin brothers, then approaching 30 yrs. of age. I thought these cars were so cool. I spent many hours during summer vacations playing in & around these cars, becoming fascinated & very familiar with dashboard layouts and such. Frankly, a sixties Mustang bores me to tears. But, as the hobby gets older, the newer members needed to sustain it get younger, and their interests reflect that. To someone born in 1978, the Mustang or Camaro sitting in their backyard in the mid-late 80s is the same as those cars that were in my grandparents. I guess it's all relative. Once again, many great photos, and thanks for your efforts.

Bill, what a great bunch of photos. It will take me some time to go through all of those. Many of those will no doubt end up as material for my screensaver. Thanks again for posting this stuff.

Guest Bluesky636

Check back regularly as I go to a lot of shows and post the photos from them. Might take a week or two until after the show, though. Check out the Odd's and End's page as I post a lot of other photos there also.