1937 Clutch

dodge55

Follow-up question the the one I posted earlier: The 1937 Plymouth engine I am putting into my 37 Dodge has a 9-1/4" clutch. The Dodge engine I am taking out has a 10" clutch. Do I use the 9-1/4", or put the Dodge flywheel on the Plymouth engine and use a 10" clutch? The flywheels measure the same, but obviously the clutch bolt holes are different. I am using the Plymouth engine w / the Dodge trans, but need to order a clutch package. Also, why the different sizes? Thanks.

Steve V

I would assume the Dodge was a slightly heavier car, with a little more powerful engine. This would account for it needing a larger clutch.

Either one would work. The larger clutch would last longer before it wore out, if that is a concern. If you have a choice put in the 10" clutch and don't worry about it. If this is impractical, the smaller clutch will do.

Thanks for the info. I will take the flywheel off of the Dodge and put it on the Plymouth engine and order a 10" clutch package (I need to buy a clutch anyway). That way if I ever find a Dodge engine, the clutch will be done. Any place better than another for clutches?

Steve V