The camshaft position sensor

Guest F14CRAZY

Guest F14CRAZY

I've become a little rusty on this subject, but could someone explain to me why the ECM needs a Camshaft position signal when it already has a crankshaft position signal? I ask because I was thinking...

Are our cars truly affected when E041 kicks in? Many have reported no loss of power (I can't really remember personally what it was like). Can it just be deprogrammed?

I understand they're not rotating at the same RPM, but since they're always synced with each other, how much the ECM didn't just have an internal multiplier "attached" to the crankshaft signal?

It sounds like it's really only needed during start-up. However, in the course of my troubleshooting, my car seemed to start and run the same, even when I had the non-functioning (Pepboys) cam sensor installed, so it doesn't seem to be that critical for the engine's operation. However, being on the nerdy side; I would like to fix my intermittent problem. Plus, it's really annoying when it keeps coming up on the CRT every minute.

post-50795-14313798989_thumb.jpg

Did you actually read the last part of what you posted?

It says there is a 1 in 6 chance the fuel delivery will be correct. That is not very good odds for having the fuel delivered a the correct time. That would explain why others have reported poor gas mileage and poor performance.

Yes, however once the engine has started, it does not sound like the cam signal is used for anything, other than preventing the Service Engine Soon fault from being displayed. Correct?

So, in my case, when I start my car and the faults come on later (intermittently), I doubt there is any effect on the engine performance.

Additionally, when I started my vehicle w/ the new sensor (which caused a continuous S.E.S light)multiple times, there appeared to be no noticeable degredation. I believe others have also reported no noticeable performance difference. I don't know, maybe I was lucky, like when the magnet aligned with the hole 2 times in a row. Or, maybe the performance and mileage difference is fairly small?

Either way, I plan to continue to troubleshoot and fix this problem, because I like when things work. And the CRT warnings are VERY ANNOYING.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, however once the engine has started, it does not sound like the cam signal is used for anything, other than preventing the Service Engine Soon fault from being displayed. Correct?

So, in my case, when I start my car and the faults come on later (intermittently), I doubt there is any effect on the engine performance.</div></div> If you re-read the last part for the FSM clipping and came to that conclusion, you my friend are a true optimist. It says, "a Code 41 will set and the ECM will start sequential fuel delivery in <span style="text-decoration: underline">any old random pattern</span>." As a mechanic I take that to mean "your car is going to run half a$$ed but it will still run". To me that would be unacceptable. I guess that makes me a pessimist.

Guest DTerry

Drove mine for at least two years without the cam sensor magnet, and never once experienced loss of performance or economy. Consistently returned 31 mpg freeway cruising. I really don't think that I just got lucky every time I started it. I only replaced it to extinguish the SES light.