1929 DA6 manifold rust / oil

Hi,

I have a 1929 Dodge DA6 that I rebuilt 30 years ago. At the time I had help from an experienced mechanic in rebuilding the engine. I had bought / made all new gaskets. The pistons were fine at the time and I got new rings for them. Rebuilt everything else. The car ran great at the time. The car has been sitting for 23 years w/ not much mileage since the first restoration and I am rerestoring it now. The crankshaft turns fine, but I have not fired the engine up until I get more components restored. I saw the spark plugs seemed fouled w/ carbon which seems like a ring issue. I have taken off the manifold and a bunch of rusty oily flakes have fallen out. When I run my finger inside the openings in the block again rusty oily flakes, but not as much as inside the manifold. I plan to take of the head and drop the oil pan and clean everything up. I am not a great mechanic, but love old cars. Can anyone tell me what this problem is and how I can alleviate it? I wonder if the engine is even okay. Any advice / information is appreciated.

Hi,

No, I did not turn it over with a battery. I took out the spark plugs and took off the belt and used the crank. She turns easily. I'll try a compression test. I do want to drop the oil pan and clean all old oil residue out before turning over w/ a battery....not sure of the wiring either.

Anyway, I didn't remember rust in the manifold like this when I took it apart the first time......these are relatively large flakes of rust......I've gotten it all out and the manifold seems fine; no holes, but just want to figure out the problem. Thanks for the advice. If you have any other ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Turn it over several times by hand to make sure everything moves. You will have to turn it over with the starter to check compression. Hold the throttle wide open, turn it over at least 2-4 revolutions for each cylinder. Not being able to see it makes it tough to call, but if the rust is red I'd bet it was from the manifold. If you are really afraid of crud in the oilpan, drain the oil so it doesn't get pumped throughout the engine. You won't hurt it turning it over. No use cleaning the pan if the engine does have to come apart. But I wouldn't get excited yet. You need to know if you have compression, a valve or two could be stuck.