Just bought a 26? Graham Brothers truck.Any GB experts among us

kens25

My new project is a Graham Brothers 1 ton.It has the steel spoke wheels,Dodge Brothers driveline,and a wooden cab with doors that have steel skins on wooden frames.I believe it to be a 26.It has the 6 volt engine with the seperate starter and generators,and the distributor is mounted near the front on the right side.

Anyone know a lot about thaes old trucks?

I have not looked for the frame VIN yet,and have not unearthed the floorboards to see if the tags are there either.

I have a 26 GB 158" WB that has iron wheels. It is still a 12 volt engine and has a wood cab from the dash back and a cable operated dump mechanism built in Portland Oregon. Serial number if I remember correctly is on the left front frame horn. It is really just yard art at this time.

post-32905-143137986027_thumb.jpg

Well,I got it home today.Cleaned up the numbers and found it is a 1927 with 137 inch wheelbase.It was a tough one to get out of it's 40+ year resting place.Left rear wheel would not turn,so had to drag it by cable,winch etc for about 4 hours to get it on the trailer.Has a hydraulic dump box,with PTO.cab is self destructing,but the left side is intact enough to make patterns etc.The cab had a piece of wood inside with the following stenciled on in blue:

the CABINET

MFG BY

BRETT MFG CO.

WINNIPEG MANITOBA

Does this sound like the cab maufacturer ?

The doors are full height,wood frame-metal skins in and out.Cab has 1/4 windows behind doors.Any help is appreciated.Thanks !

MVC-001S-2.jpg

Thanks Dave,

I need for my 25 Touring a set of roof irons/bows etc.I have no top whatsoever.Also need a gas cap to fit the original tank with 2 bumps on the outside of the fillerneck,a pattern of the front frame sheetmetal filler panel below the grille[or an original],and 1 outside door handle.

For the GB truck I need a pair of headlights,all guages and headlight switch,plus hood sides.

Thanks,Ken

And more of when it got unloaded at home:

MVC-008S.jpg

MVC-010S.jpg

So I know it looks rough,but really it is just the wood parts and the fenders that are bad,the frame looks straight,smooth and not cracked or welded on.It has the tag on the floorboard still,and enough wood to make patterns from.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ed_Joyce

Does your GB have a round brass emblem on the top of the radiator shell which reads--Graham Brothers Canada? If so it was made in Toronto, Canada on Dufferin Street. According to the "Graham Legacy: Graham Paige to 1932" book that assembly plant was in operation somewhere about late 1924 or early 1925.Canadian trucks were assembled here during the lifetime of the Graham Brothers trucks. Your project is quite an aggressive one. All wood cabs for the U.S. trucks were made in Evansville, Indiana. Cannot find any info regarding Canadian cabs. We have a 1928 Graham Brothers 3/4 ton Canopy express truck (huckster truck) fully restored by my wife and I. We purchased this truck from the grandsons of the original owner. We received 1st place in our category at the 2008 Grand national Meet in Melbourne, Fl in March. I could try and help as much as time allows. Email is joyce3063@aol.com.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick Doan

I bought a 26 Graham truck about 2-1/2 years ago. It has a Prospect Fire Equipment body, "Deluge" rotary pump, & 2 chemical tanks.

It was owned by the Paoli Indian VFW from about 1962 until I bought it. I have not been able to determine what fire department it served.

The body is pretty good, but the wooden tailboard needs to be replaced. The VFW had the engine & tranny replaced with a early 1970s Toyota set. The engine & tranny, which they removed, was included with the deal. The old engine is 4 cylinder, overhead valve, with a cast valve cover that says Morton and Brett, Indianapolis, Ind. I have not been able to determine if this was the original engine & tranny or if it was an earlier repowering. I also don't know the condition of the old set. The starter/generator is Northeastern.

I'm new to antique trucks, and just found this site tonight. I'm an old firefighter, who just had his first heart stent put in last week. Please help me to gather information. I would like to rebuild & reinstall the old engine & tranny, if they are original.

Willie.jpg

Dick Doan dd@firehousemail.com

• 8 months later...

I have the same truck, about a 1926, steel spoke wheels, enclosed wood cab, rool up wood frane windows, 1 1/2 ton, has 2 transmissions back to back, stake bed, runs great - parade truck from my dad.

May have to sell soon. Have extra running engin and transmission on frame trailer also.

post-60778-143138051175_thumb.jpg