Start up problems

Guest williampierce

Guest williampierce

I purchased my second Reatta - a 1989 with 81K miles - for my daughter who has been driving mine for the last six years. She is thrilled to death and loves the fact that she now has the touch screen and a sunroof. It is amazing that a 13 year old car can bring such joy to a 21 year old.<P>She has phoned me that the car takes three tries before starting if it has sat for more than a few hours. It always starts on the first turn of the ignition if it is warm, but takes 3 tries if not. Any suggestions?<P>After having had my 1st Reatta since 1993, I just found this site last week. It has been wonderful to read through all the questions and wonderful insight that follows. It has inspired me to fix up the first Reatta rather than scrap it. THANKS.<P>Bill Pierce

This may be too tech/mechanical for her but these are my sugestions.<BR>First thought is that a fuel problem is the cause. Remember that fuel injection doesn't need to push the pedal to the floor to start.<P>1. Fuel filter getting dirty. <BR>2. Fuel pressure lost.<BR> Causes;<BR> A. Loose fuel line connection<BR> B. Loose fuel schrader valve on fuel rail<BR> C. Fuel pressure regulator bad<BR> D. Sticking fuel injector<P>The easiest fix maybe a couple cans of good fuel injector cleaners(Greased Lighting, Slick 50). This of course will only work for the fuel injector trouble. For the leaks have her run the car for a few minutes. Open the hood, shut off the car and sniff for gasoline.

Guest EDBS0

Hi Bill; Like your daughter even though I have not meet her. <BR> nono.gif Don't even think of the tough stuff until you do the plugs. <P> My first recommendation would be to replace the plugs with ACDelco RAPIDFIRE Performance Spark Plug. Then still keeping it simple do sparkplug wires and air filter.<P>Am assuming that there are no codes???<P>see <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002495" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002495</A>

Sounds like the fuel pump relay problem. After it sits for a while, the pressure bleeds off, but it takes a while and will start okay if only shut off for a short time. Does the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds each time you turn the key to the run position? If not, it may be the fuel pump relay on the firewall.

Guest Buick Mike

If none of the above suggestions fixes your problem it's probably the coil pack. And as long as you're replacing the coil pack replace the ignition control module as well.<P>Mike

Today my car started right up.<BR>I had driven it in two days, maybe it was already warm since it was after lunch and Atlanta has been very hot the past few days. I did turn the switch to on, but did not use the starter until the 'service soon' light went-off. But who wants to wait that long.<BR>All the mechanic's want the car overnight to find the problem.<BR>My good gas mileage is history, I am back to 17/18 with the a/c on in the city.

My car does just the opposite. It starts right up after it has been sitting for a couple of days. When I use it during the day, it almost always starts instantaneously on the second try. If I continue cranking on the first attempt, she'll eventually start but I do not like stressing the starter. <P>I hear the fuel pump come on before I hit the key.<P>Does the advice already provided also apply to my condition. Thanks, n

My 89 acted this way till I replaced the fuel pump relay. Someone already mentioned this item. Very easy to check. Open the hood. Turn off radio, A/C, anything that might make noise. With drivers door open, turn key to the on position. You should hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds. The sound will come from the rear, not the front. If you hear anything in the front, that is the brake pump turning on. It is easier to hear if you are in the garage. If you don't hear the sound, the relay is bad. Easy to replace and cost less than $20. Howard<p>[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Howard ]

Mine was a coil pak. Speak of the devil its starting up again. CRT picked it up after it was ideling abit and I was going through the service mode. The CRT will say that it detected an electrical problem. I hope its not a module. What does a module cost?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the assist. Will double check it is the pump and not the brake system plus I'll add some injector cleaner. best regards, noe

Guest williampierce

FYI - I don't get my daughter's car back until mid-August when I can try some of the suggestions which have been made through numerous postings. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you very much for the input.<P>Bill

That was a mighty good guess Robert, since I purchased the car I only got the keyless alarm some months back and it is since not working properly. The local alarm shops state I need to have the dealer trouble shoot the problem. The programming steps work fine, but the handset will not lock/unlock the doors.<BR>Now for your winning lottery picks!

I was trying to budget my money without going to the dealer, but I see my time is just about up. I guess they will be able to go on vacation soon and I will spend mine in front of the television. Dealer's smile when they see a old car pull up.

Guest EDBS0

IMO 17/18 in city with air is normal.<P>Sounds like your security system is acting up. Only a guess but could be?