Diagnostics Info at www.reatta.net

BP

Tom<BR>Thanks for this new information. I thought the ALDL was only used for Brake Problem Diagnostics. I thought ECM error codes were extracted through the CRT by pushing the Climate OFF & WARM buttons at the same time. <P>So now I have a new question. Is there a difference between error code retrieval from the ALDL & the CRT? Or are they just different ways to obtain the same information. <P>I’ve had my 1989 Reatta for about 9 months now and I still feel like a complete idiot. I don’t know where I’d be without this forum. <P>Thanks again<BR>VR<BR>bp

ALDL and CRT displays are the same as far as engine troubles are concerned - is easily as good as a Tech-1 or commercial hardware.<P>So you are correct, you only need to disconnect for ABS codes.<P>Occasionally I will connect a PC to the ALDL with <a href="http://www.rinda.com/cgi-bin/startpg.pl/page=home.html/SID=0/mail=1">DiaCom</a> (plug) software and cables so that I can look at all the variables at once and also make frame by frame recordings while driving. This is very handy to track down intermittant troubles when you do not know which variable to look at & only happens when driving.<P>But lacking this, the built in test (even on a 90 & I assume a 91) is better than any low or mid range scan tool I have seen.

We have attempted to start the addition of a diagnostics section at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/diagnostics.html" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net/diagnostics.html</A>.<P>Initial entries include Diagnostic Entry and ALDL codes.<P>If you have any suggestions, comments, or wish to contribute in any way toward this effort, please email me at tjenkins@vdoefx.com <P>Although we certainly don't recommend a scan of the Service Manual for posting, diagnostic information contained therein would be most beneficial for the entire group. Perhaps someone could figure out how to convert the Flow-Chart to a simple text document?<P>Thanks!<P>--Tom<p>[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: tjenkins ]

Guest r_wright

But aren't these codes the same ones that can be displayed on the 90 - 91 digital odometer/trip meter by entering the diagnostic mode via the climate control?

90 (haven't verified 91) does display the codes and values through the ODO area on the "Instrument Panel Display". It is not as verbose as the 88-89 CRT but gets the job done (you do need an index of which value refers to what).

Push both climate control off and temp up (warmer) button at same time and hold for about 2 seconds. If hit both simultaneously, a/c will not turn off and temp setting will not change.<P>Can also run around car three times widdershins first but unlikely to help.