Is it an 88 or 89?

The production number on the door jam of my Reatta says the car was built on November of 1988. I purchased the car with the understanding it was an 89. Which is it? Could I essentially list the car as a bookend year of 1988?<P>Thanks!

three easy ways to tell an '88 from an '89: 1) hood badge is about three inches in diameter on the '89, smaller on the '88, 2) switches on the front of the console: 4 on '88, 2 on '89, 3)steering wheel center on '89 matches the logo on the hood badge, '88 is just a stylized "R" in black and silver.<P>when all else fails: look for the model year on the underhood emission label.

An American institution is the concept of the "model year". It seems to have begun in the early 1900's (know Zenith radios went to a model year early on) with the intent of allowing purchaser's to buy "next year's" model as Christmas presents.<P>Slowly this backed up as manufacturers tried to have a jump on the competition until the present when the new year's models are introduced at the start of the fourth quarter.<P>In order to have sufficient stock at introduction, production actually starts about eight weeks earlier with a few cars of available for magazine "long leads".<P>Midyear introductions became a fad in the early 60's with the result that the earliest "next year's" model can be introduced is either Feb or March (anyone know the exact date ?)<p>[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]