32 hood

tbirdman

Well putting on the hood looks more difficult than it probably is. I have the hood resting on the radiator and cowl now. The radiator end has the center rod inserted into chromed raditor opening. I need to figure out the easiest way to fasten the hood clamp to the cowl.

Is this a 2-3 man job?

Guest imported_Speedster

Does the '32s hood-hinge have a spring-loaded-pin in the front end of it? (like the '29)

If so, then the rear end, at cowl, needs to go in first, then one person can do it by compressing the spring and slideing the pin all the way in, then lock it in place with the screw that keeps pin in hinge. Depending on what type screw it has now, it may need to be replaced with a screw that holds it better. With the pin held in you can use both hands to work the hinge in place and then loosen the screw to release the lock-pin.

Put blankets on cowl and shell to prevent paint chips.

I've used that precedure several times, to both remove and install hood, on my '29s, with no problems, since I had to do it by myself.

No spring loaded pin. It is just the center rod that get's inserted in the front. The tough part is the rear bracket as the screw holes are not exposed with the hood closed. I'm trying to figure outthe easiest way to attched that rear clamp.

Guest imported_Speedster

I wonder if someone replaced the pin and spring with just a rod ??? I don't see how it could be assembled without the movable pin? The shell would have to be moved forward to clear the rod, correct?

Is there a long slot in left side of hinge, at the front end? If so, that shot is where the screw goes thru that holds in the pin and spring.

Unless the '32 has a completely different design than '29?

Guest imported_Speedster

I took a picture of the hinge slot and screw I'm talking about. The screw goes into a threaded hole in the pin and the spring is behind it, down in the hinge. (That screw is not the original, it was gone. I used the counter-sunk type to hold pin in place during installation.)

post-33516-143137980698_thumb.jpg