Electric Windshield Wipers

Guest AWBE

Has anybody used the electric wipers sold by Classic Buicks for a 1955 Roadmaster?? Or any other 1955. How do they look and work? Will they fool the Judges? How difficult are they to install? Are there other Sources?? Please give me your thoughts and comments.

Guest simplyconnected

I bought one for my '55 Ford. It was made by:

http://www.newportwipers.com/

If you have a 12-V system, I highly recommend this upgrade.

I bought the interval switch and the extension which allows me to use my original dash bezel and knob. This switch has "HI-LO-INTERVAL," and turns on a washer pump (closes a contact), by pushing it in. The motor self-parks, too.

The motor bolts onto the original mounting bracket, uses my factory wiper arms, and is totally invisible. What I should be talking about, is how much better it works than the old Trico vac motor. What a diff! No slow-down or hesitation; torque is very strong.

My whole system (motor, switch, extension) was about $280 (still worth it) from eBay. I'm not impressed with JPL Street Rods, but that's who sold mine. (They took my money, then had the factory ship it. I waited a few weeks to get it, but JPL didn't say why, up front.) The switch and extension are extra-cost options that you don't have to buy. - Dave Dare

Guest simplyconnected

For a long time, I couldn’t bring myself to paying that much. I even engineered a plate using a Mustang wiper motor which created an oscillating action that I could attach my existing arms to.

Then, I bought a "Perfect Fit" A/C system that gobbled up all my dash space with ducts.

The compactness of the 'store-bought' wiper sold me. It uses all the original arms; they give new nylon bushings for them, and it mounts to the original bolt holes. It may be pricy, but well worth it. - Dave Dare

Guest simplyconnected

Oh, I forgot: J.P.L. Street Rods offers free shipping for orders over $100. You can go through eBay, or you can order by phone. I can't say they were "bad" but they weren't up-front about turnaround time.

'Free shipping' makes J.P.L. cheaper than ordering through New Port.

Here's their site, if you want to check them out:

http://stores.ebay.com/JPL-Street-Rods

Guest AWBE

NEWPORT WIPERS HAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE smile.gif . I ordered $309 worth of stuff from them on their web site. It was my understanding that their wipers would be indistinguishable from the original wipers. They called because they said they always wanted to talk to their customers to avoid misunderstandings. In our discussion it came out that their unit would resemble in no way the original vacuum motor. BAD FOR AUTHENTICITY POINTS. They went on and canceled my transaction. I have had the motor rebuilt but it still doesn't work right. Very spasmodic. I guess I just won't drive much in the rain. frown.gif

Sometimes Ficken will have a NOS or rebuilt wiper motor in stock, in case your core is bad or missing. I had a bad wiper motor for my 1939 LaSalle and he came up with a NOS motor, which he rebuilt (the insides dry out over the years, even NOS). It works as when car was new.

Fred

Guest AWBE

Thanks to both you guys-----I will send him a spare I have.

I had the one on my car rebuilt about 7 years ago and it works----but not very well. I may not be getting enough vacuum to it. I think I have all the lines hooked up properly---using a diagram Roberta was kind enough to send. It may be the switch---I've got a replacement I got on eBay but am afraid to tackle putting it on. In my old age I've gotten too stiff to stand on my head. crazy.gif