32 Grill Shutters

tbirdman

I'm trying to get my grill shutters to work. I plan to take the themostatic assembly apart, but it appears I can move the the thermostic control by hand and that should not be possible if the thermostic control is working. Looking for advice here on possible issues. I had the thermostatic control rebuilt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should not be able to move the shutter blades and linkage while it's connected to the thermostat. With the linkage disconnected you can open and close the shutters by moving the linkage rod, though it takes quite a bit of effort to move it against the spring. </div></div>

I put the thermostatic control in a pan of water and heated it. Until the thermostatic control was all the way open, he could move the center plunger back and forth. Once it got to the very end of it's travel, it was solid as a rock. Is this how they are suppose to work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should not be able to move the shutter blades and linkage while it's connected to the thermostat. With the linkage disconnected you can open and close the shutters by moving the linkage rod, though it takes quite a bit of effort to move it against the spring. </div></div>

I spoke with Jim Otto who rebuilt the thermostatic control. Between the fully cold and full hot positions, there will be some play on the thermostatic control. Looks like I got it working.

So looks like tomorrow is a day to put the hood, lights and horns back on, wash it and take it for a test drive.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I spoke with Jim Otto who rebuilt the thermostatic control. Between the fully cold and full hot positions, there will be some play on the thermostatic control.</div></div>

I don't think he is Correct about that ???

There's Not in any of mine.

I hope it works.

Guest imported_Speedster

Owen, you sure do enjoy contridicting me, don't you? grin.gif LOL grin.gif

The position of the shutters, linkage and bellows-shaft are determined by the amount of collapse and expansion of the ether filled bellows-can, so how can there be a loose area or position of that travel ??? Is the '32 thru '34 made differently than '29 or '37, which I know about? Do they have some kind of slip-joint or something in linkage?

To move the shutters in '29 you have to bend or flex the linkage to move the shutters any amount.

I did say "a very small amount". And the Sylphon units used in 34 are different that the earlier ones though I can't say that accounts for the differences in our observations. Sorry you feel that I enjoy contradicting you, it's not the case and I find your posts interesting and informative -- it's just that sometimes our observations or information sources are different. Sorry if you feel offended.

Guest imported_Speedster

No problem, when I put smiley-faces and LOL (which means Laughing Out Loud), that means I'm joking.

So, are you saying the 'small amount' is the flex in the linkage? I don't think that is what Ken is seeing, sounds like he is getting a lot of free movement. Is that correct Ken?

Well define small. I'm not getting a lot but there there's enough that you can move the shutters. Remember it doesn't take much movement on the thermostatic control to translate into larger movements on the shutters. Again not at either end of the travel, but between the ends.

If I had to guess, it would go like this -- you can't compress a liquid so when the thermostat is cold, all the ether or whatever the blend is, is all liquid, and you can't compress it, and it would take more effort than I've used to try to pull the bellows open. But when the shutters are partially open, there is some vapor in the bellows and by moving the shutters you can slightly compress the vapors, and when the thermostat is fully open there is just too much vapor pressure to be able to compress it. I'm not sure that's why I can can move the shutters when they are partially open, but not when they are closed for fully open. I think the movement I can make is more than just slop or flex in the linkage but haven't really studied it, it's just an observation I've made.