Spark Plugs

I have used Bosh +4 in the past. I read in a post that someone preferred A/C Rapid Fire. Are these better than +4's and if so, what model no. Rapid Fire?

I just purchased 6 rapidfires #3 today from Advanced Auto 4 of the plugs electrodes where the same, but other 2 were thinner. The gaps were the same on all I am headed to replace the other two now. I will have them installed tomorrow and report back.

Guest EDBS0

From a previous post from search engine;<P>I received the following reply from AC Delco to the spark plug gap question for AC rapidfire plugs for an 88 Reatta.<BR>Thank you for contacting ACDelco.<P>The correct model ACDelco RAPIDFIRE Performance Spark Plug for your application (1988 Buick Reatta <BR>with V6 3.8 Liter © MFI engine) is:<P>#3 gapped @ .045.<P>The Standard ACDelco Plug model for your application is: R44LTS6 and should be gapped @ .060.<P>If the box on your RAPIDFIRE spark plugs indicate that the plugs are pre-set at the factory, please <BR>do not re-gap the plugs. These RAPIDFIRE Performance spark plugs will also have gap protectors from<BR>the factory which you have noticed. Please remember (as stated on the box that your plugs came in) <BR>"The difference is in the electrodes."<P>Emission Stickers, typically mounted under the hood, may carry information on the correct spark plug<BR>gap for your vehicle. However, the information on plug gap applies to the original equipment spark <BR>plug that came with the vehicle. The unique design features of the RAPIDFIRE Performance spark plug<BR>allow the plug to operate properly at the pre-set gap that we have provided from the factory. These <BR>plugs have been pre-tested for use in your vehicle and we recommend that you do not re-gap the plug <BR>for use as a replacement in an original equipment application. The RAPIDFIRE Performance spark plug<BR>gap may be smaller, larger, or the same as that called for with the original spark plug that came in<BR>your vehicle, but will provide excellent performance that will meet emission standards. Of course, <BR>you may wish to very carefully (remember these plugs have a side wire made of special materials and <BR>are not designed to be re-gapped!) check the gap before installing your RAPIDFIRE Spark Plugs to <BR>ensure that the gap is correct.<P><BR><I>I have used them both. Prefer the +4 for the supercharged Riv and AC Rapidfire for Reatta</I>

Guest Dolores

How often do you need to change spark plugs? I've found a great mechanic and he's been taking good care of my car and he hasn't mentioned anything about the plugs. Is this a maintenance item?

I just returned from 900 mile trip to south Fla. I could tell a different with the Rapidfire plugs. I averaged 29 mpg with the A/C on. More pick-up too.<BR>I was a liitle shocked about a hour after I tanked-up I checked my aver and it was on 31.8 at 70mph, wow Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale on $25 of gas.

I have rapidfires in all my computer cars. 30 mpg on the road is high but not unusual if everything is in top shape (including the a/c so it is cycling).<P>Is evident that there are two weak aread in the Reatta design - the secondary ignition and the cooling both need to be tip-top.

Padgett do you know the answer to my plug question? I have 5 blunt,shaved tip rapidfires and 1 with a fine point. My mechanic tried to another shaved tip but the thin type came in. The car running fine I'm just wondering what type was in your vehicles? All are #3<BR>You are correct before the trip, I had a tune-up, and work on A/C just recharge. I like a synthelic blend the best, since the engine doesn't sound as tinny. Mineral oils sound the best at the exhaust, but are slow off the line and gas mileage is less.

Guest Dolores

Ok Guys, Am I not here? I know my question may sound silly, but don't I at least deserve an answer. Thank you.

Until mentioned, I was not aware of two different types of Rapidfires. No idea if it makes any difference.<P>As to how often ? I don't know if there is a set period, it depends on the plug and the engine. Like changing oil when the pressure drops a touch, plugs are more of a feel thing.<P>My Reatta had Autolites in it when purchased so I changed to RapidFires and the idle became smoother. Wife's Bonne has probably 30k miles on hers and they still look & feel fine.<P>Do know that modern premium plugs on unleaded fuels last much longer than earlier ones, have had SBCs that needed new plugs every 1k miles or so.<p>[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]