Rare '90 Driftwood convertible for sale

If you'll check out "California Help Needed" below, you'll see that Barry asked for someone to check out a '90 Driftwood convertible here in Southern California. I volunteered, and found the car to be exceptional. AutoTrader internet asking price of $8495 had been reduced to $7999. There were 11 long-distance inquiries on the car and three telephone promises to buy it the next day. Believing it to be a bargain, I contacted Barry and told him I was purchasing the car that evening for him -- with the proviso that he didn't have to take it. Since it was from a dealer, I had to pay sales tax, registration, etc., which added another $600 and change. After driving it home, I was even more impressed, and told Barry that (1) I considered it a hell of a deal, and (2) he could have it for the $8600 price. Today, Barry informed me that he didn't want the car. So, thus released from my promise that he had first rights of refual, I listed the car on eBay. Reserve is $9000, so (despite RRR's comments) I didn't buy it to "make thousands." The reserve is very reasonable, so that some Reatta enthusiast is going to have an excellent car at a great price. Even if you're not in the market, check the car out on eBay just to see the half-dozen pictures. <P>Jerry

Jerry, I want to publicly thank you for your efforts on my behalf.<P>Folks, Jerry went out and bought the car so no one else would get it until I had a chance to evaluate it.<P>After about 2 days of consideration, during which he did indeed give me first refusal at the original purchase price, and which included him e-mailing me pictures, I've decided to stay in the '88-'89 "category".<P>For me, this one was not to be. But thanks again to Jerry and best wishes to whomever buys this car. Its a sweet one!<P>bjh

I want to sell my Select 60 and have been reluctant to use ebay because I have thought it attracts mostly tire kickers and bottom fishers. I have two questions for you (1) do you do the ad yourself or is there a format and you just fill in the blanks and (2) what is the type and level of response you get. Anyone else's comments would be appreciated.

I don't know what a "bottom fisher" is, but I've used ebay for two years now. It reaches a wider audience than a newspaper ad or garage sale, and there are people out there who will buy anything. The biggest problem is buyers who won't pay, but that's what negative feedback is for.

Guest tempest68

Blenheim,<p>I dont have any experience with e-bay, but I have two other suggestions for you to consider:<ol>[*]List the car here on this discussion site with an asking price. Since the good folks coming are familiar with the Select 60 cars, you may have a better shot at someone recognizing the value of said vehicle.[*]Have you considered a listing with <a href="http://www.hemmings.com/">Hemmings Motor News?</a> I would make the assumption that readers of their web-site and/or printed magazine (its really a book based on the size of those things) are more apt to be car collectors that would appreciate what you're selling.<br>DISCLAIMER: I do not have any personal interest/connection with Hemmings.

<p>Whichever route you take, I wish you luck in finding an appropriate buyer for such a collectible automobile.<p>Cheers,

As I posted earlier, I am in California until Sunday. Was going to look at the car today.<P>Jerry does it have power pull downs? I don't have my reference material with me but there were very few Driftwood convertibles made, I'm guessing.... from memory I think the number was 66.

Barney:<P>If you're in Orange County, as I think you said you'd be, I'd be happy to show you the Driftwood. My cell phone number is (714) 342-5288.<P>Jerry

Blenheim:<P>This is the third time I've used eBay to list a Reatta convertible. Both times previously, the cars sold for the "Buy It Now" price.<P>Best thing is the flat $40 fee that eBay charges. I do the ads myself; six photos with the digital camera, then to the "Sell" heading on eBay. Follow the instructions.<P>Good luck,<P>Jerry