Headlamps for 20s Six

pepcak

Hi there,

in buy/sell section I am looking for a restorable headlamp set for mid-20s Packard Six. Does anybody know what are the differences between 326/333, 426/433, 526/533 models headlamps? According the partsbook I have they differ with model, but the book does not says what is the difference - the size, make, shape, glass pattern......

Any advice welcome. Josef

Guest imported_Speedster

I think I would call Henry Yeska, to try to get that Info.

But be sure to double check. I've found that sometimes Henry is not sure and tries to sell what he has, and may not be the exact one you need for your year model.

He is a Great source for parts tho, and does very well for an 89 year old Expert. wink.gif

His number is:

610-759-0230

Guest 1926pack

Unless I'm mistaken, these drum headlights were the same for 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder Packards throughout the mid 20s. In the late 20s Packard went over to headlights with a more curved end.

Guest imported_Speedster

I scaned thru my pictures of '26 thru '28 and saw at least 2 different style headlight housings. One had a larger flange ring around the rear of drum. I couldn't determine a pattern as to which lights went with which years tho, had conflicting results. I saw '28s with both styles.

There's also differences in the lenses, early ones appeared to have fewer or shallower focusing-facets than later ones.

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm beginning to think the proper one for '28 533 is the type with larger rear edge ring.

Like these on one of our forum members car, in Australia:

(note- the curved facets in top of lenses)

post-33516-14313797488_thumb.jpg

Rick,

this is what I found going through internet pictures of period Packards, nothing what I can grasp. Actually the Packard is in possession of my friend, who does not speak any english (but has also 1920 Twin Six!). The Six carries a custom body built in Czechoslovakia by company Brozik and its very rare car here, in the middle of Europe. Some pictures are at http://www.veteran-vydrevy.vyrobce.cz/html/frame_foto/packard.html

Thanks for help.

Josef

Guest imported_Speedster

Wow, Brozik, I've never seen one of those!

The roadster picture was posted by member 'HMossAus', last November, from Victoria Australia.

Other than that I have no Info.

Guest imported_Speedster

The headlights on the original car in the picture of a picture hanging on wall, appear to be similar but have a band around the center of housing, or it could just be a difference in the plating reflection in those areas ???

See Attachment:

post-33516-143137974891_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepcak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...also, who is the owner of that great grey roadster, to get more detailed pictures of headlamps.....

Thanks again. Josef </div></div>

Josef,

Suggest you send Heather(HMossAus)a PM. Heather is a member of the Packard Club here in Australia but the roadster is actually her brother John's car.

Guest HMossAus

I have some information on the lights, from my brother who owns the 443 Roadster. he says the 533 had exactly the same shape lights but they were smaller, and he said with his model the lens style changed during the production year, with earlier cars having vertical lines in the glass while the later cars had the curved lines. He thinks the six's would have been the same.

Another point to mention about his car is the Hood should have the vent doors instead of the narrow louves. but as this car was an Export, Packard may have been using up parts from a previous model as they have added (welded) a length each side of the hood at the bottom to make way for the larger radiater and everything. He painted the car about 23 years ago and discovered the join in the metal.

Pepcak I have sent you a PM

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks for the Info Heather.

Does John know if the headlight size was determined by the chassis model (526, 533, 443) Not the year model ('27, '28) ?

If that's true, then I'm assuming the 526 and 533 (which are '28 designs) had smaller lights than the 443 (which I think was actually a '27 design, produced in '28), is that correct?

This gets kinda confusing. shocked.gif

Guest 1926pack

It gets more confusing than that because the 6s and 8s had different series numbers. For example, the 4th series six, which is considered a 1927 car but was first sold in Aug-Sept 26, is a 4th series. The same car but with an 8 sold in the same time frame is a 3d series. You can sometimes tell by the rest of the numbers of the model because the 6 was shorter than the 8. So, for the 27 (first sold in 26) it would be 433 for the six (133 inch wheelbase) or 343 for the 8 (143 inch wheelbase) Same for the 5th-6/4th-8 and 6th-6/5th-8.

BUT WAIT!! THERE'S MORE!!! From the firewall back they were the same car. Just chop about 10 inches off the snout for the 6 because the engine was smaller.

Getting dizzy yet?

Guest HMossAus

This is confusing for me, But John said, The 526 - 533 are six cylinder car's, there were no 5th Series eight's, and the 443 eight were sold at the same time. From July 1927-August 1928.

Both had drum type headlights with the six cylinder cars smaller than the eights.

Guest 1926pack

Right. There were no 5th series 8s. In 1929 the 6s were dropped, only 8s were made, they were the 6th series and they had headlight buckets with rounded ends. For a good general guide on all of this, I use the Packard Club website, www.packardclub.org, under the heading encyclopedia.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HMossAus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> headlights with the six cylinder cars smaller than the eights. </div></div>

Okay, If there's only two types of drum housings used in '28 (One for Sixs and One for Eights) That would simplify it a great deal.

Now you only need to determine what the measurements of the smaller type are to determine which ones you need. That's assuming Brozik stayed with that type, of course. wink.gif

Anyone out there have an original '27 or '28 Six that could measure their headlights? Probably 2 measurements would do it, one for diameter and one for length front to rear?

Hi,

thanks for all this help, I believe its what I am looking for. I would start with those on Heathers brother 8, were they Packard made or by some "external" manufacturer (any name put on them anywhere)? Yes, OD measurement and depth would be OK with some detailed pictures if possible.

Thanks again Josef

BTW - I am not the Packard man (pity:( I have 1928 McLaughlin Buick Master Six, again with some local body, 7 pass limo, see www.pepcak.webzdarma.cz

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest 1928Packard526

Josef —

I have slowly been restoring a '28 Packard 526 for the last 25 years. I have restored the car as a driver not a show car, but it is as original as possible. It is now a reliable driver where everything works as originally. I have made very few compromises from originality. You can see the car in my avatar.

I have pictures and descriptions of most of what I have done that was interesting, but since the forum has been updated with the newer software I have been unable to post any pictures. If you send me your email address I will be very happy to send you anything that I have that might be of help in your restoration. The only problem is that I am not computer literate enough to master posting pictures on the forum, or I would share directly as there are most likely others that would benefit from what I have done to date and there is always the possibility that others could assist me in any further work I might want to do.

I have good pictures of the correct headlights and other aspects of our car which would help you continue the fine work evident in what you have done so far.

Pete P.

Guest 1928Packard526

Josef —

I tried to send you an email this morning to the email address you supplied, but it has been rejected with a note that the address could not be found. I may have mistyped it, but it does not appear so. I don't know what to do now as I can't figure out how to put photos on the forum under this new system, (I am a Mac user for a reason — simplicity). We old folks don't learn new tricks easily either. I need a new email address for you or careful instructions on how to post my photos here, which are in .jpg format, under the new software. It was easy with the old software but too complicated for this old dog to master under the new. It is a minor miracle that I can do this posting.

Later,

Pete P.

Guest 1928Packard526

Josef —

I just had success in sending you an email, but I had to reduce the photos to postage stamp size to get the file accepted. Let me know if the photos are too small to be useful and I will resend them one at a time, which should work.

Pete P.

Guest 1928Packard526

Josef —

My grandson has given me a boost in making this attempt to post the photos of my '28 526, 6 cylinder Packard headlights. I had to reduce the photos to the size of postage stamps to get then uploaded, but perhaps they will be helpful. We'll see if it works.

Later,

Pete P.

post-50405-143138158844_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138158845_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138158846_thumb.jpg