1918 Headlight Adjustment?

Guest John1918

Guest John1918

I have to replace a headlight bucket on my '18 but the only good one I have points a bit too high. All the others I have are too rusty to use but seem to point in the right direction OK. Has anyone any idea if there is any way of lowering the headlight beam? The later cars have an adjustment in the fender bracket but mine is riveted solid. It looks like the original machining of the headlight bracket was not accurate and caused the problem. Cheers, John

Guest backyardmachinc

John,

There's a addjustment inside of the head light that has a spring mounted to a screw take the head lite lens off your see what I'm saying good luck

Guest John1918

Thanks for your suggestion but I can't see any adjustment in the headlight at all. I have a later one with focus adjustment but what I want to do is tilt the whole lamp forward quite a bit. If I sight the two lights up I can see one is tilted up about 3/8" at the top. I think I will tart up an old rusty one that does have the right amount of tilt till I find a good one. Thanks, John

Guest imouttahere

John, when you figure out how to make the adjustment, here's your official DB headlight focusing disc (this one's from my '22):

focusing_disc.jpg

Guest John1918

Thanks for your help guys, I guess I'll end up choosing one from my pile of spares. The best one needs a few holes fixed up but doesn't need any 'adjustment'. Thanks, John