German Guy , Chrysler Royal 39

Hello Guy´s , I bought a Chrysler Coupe Royal 39.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18095044&uid=4321596

I will again again develop that. That is my first project.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pu-man

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I have a question:</span> how much were cars built in the year 1939 by the Royal-Coupe C22? how much does it give approximately today still?

Greet from Berlin / Germany

In 1939 Chrysler built 72,000 cars. Of these 59,189 were "Royal 6" and "Royal Windsor 6" models.

I do not know precisely how many of these were coupe body style. But in those days 15% or 20% of production was coupe body style.

Today would estimate no more than 1000 or 2000 survive. Probably less.

That is a handsome car and looks well preserved for its age.

Guest elmo39

In the book 70 yrs of Chrysler, it says that there were 4,780 2 passenger royals and 239 4 passenger royal windsors coupes built plus about 250 Hayes bodied coupes

Thanks for the fast answers. smile.gif

I think then have I a rare car here. One sees Chevys and Fords everywhere, but such a Chrysler Coupe Royal rather rarely. that makes me happy.

Am I to make the car again for original or a Kustom Car with V8 engine?

Keep it original. Save yourself much time and money and do not devalue the car.

Installing a strange engine will cost a lot of money and will cut the car's value by half.

You will find if the engine is in good condition, that it is perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic up to 100 KM Hr.

The engine, transmission, etc are among the best available at that time in terms of quality and durability.

For example Chrysler pioneered the use of insert bearings (invented by Chrysler and first used in 1934). They also had full pressure lubrication starting with the first car they made (1923).

Some makers were still using babbitt bearings and splash lubrication until the early 1950s.

The engine's one downfall is the long stroke design. This means high speeds cause excessive wear and gas consumption.

When your car was new it had a top speed of 150 KM HR or slightly more. Cruising speeds of up to 120 were perfectly safe.

But in view of the car's age it would be wise to limit yourself to 100 KM HR.

If your engine needs an overhaul all parts are available. The engine is very simple and easy to work on. A complete rebuild can be done very cheaply compared to modern engines.

Much cheaper than replacing with a modern engine.

Now if you want more power it is possible to increase horsepower by 25% very easily with a few accessories such as 2 carburetors, dual exhaust, reground camshaft, and electronic ignition.

But I tell you in all honesty, if you get that engine running as it should you will notice no lack of power.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petebirtles

2003_0622_170427AA.sized.jpgHi, good to see another Chrysler Royal coupe in Europe, I have a 40 Chrysler Royal coupe (pictured) as well as a 38 Chrysler Royal convertible coupe, great cars, great shape, excellent mechanics, rarer than any ford or chevy & half the price!

Keep it original, my 40 Chrysler which is unrestored but mechanically rebuilt gets more attention because of its original unrestored condition (tatty paint etc) than any restored car or rodded car.

If you require any mechanical bits, or advice, I may be able to help.

Love that 39' front end!

Pete..........

Guest elmo39

Warwick in NZ use 90 gear oil all year , unless you live in the colder area,s of the south island then use 140 for winter use. I live in the nth Island and have used 90 hypoid gear oil all year round in my 54 , which i have owned for aprox18 yrs my 37 plymouth i used to own,about 10 yrs and will do so in my 39 desoto i am restoring

My reference books only go back to 1942 but they seem to have about the same recommendation from 42 to 49 so here goes.

Simplimatic transmission, use special lubricant for Simplimatic transmission.

Today you would use tractor oil, TDH (transmission differential and hydraulic oil) ISO32 grade. For the transmission and the fluid drive. The fluid drive is filled thru a hole in the floor, the transmission thru a pipe plug in the side of the transmission.

Standard Transmission oil, 2 1/3 pounds, SAE 90 summer, SAE 80 winter

Rear axle oil, 2 3/4 pounds, EP 90 summer EP 80 winter.

Today you no longer need to change oil seasonally. You can use a multigrade gear oil.

Otherwise use the summer grade if temp is above freezing.

This is from the Canadian Service Data Book, 1952 edition. Is there any chance your Chrysler was made in Canada or the parts sourced from Canada and assembled locally?

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arcade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great car,I have a sedan here in New Zealand. Where did you find your rare as coupe ? </div></div>

Thanks , I have found the car with a dealer in Holland g. I am very pleased such a rare car to have bought. For the structure of the engine I need still much information. Many pictures for the structure of the engine would continue to help to me very.

Is there a repair manual there?

I did not see to 39 Chrysler a Royal Coupe C22 in Europe ever. I know only 39 Desoto in original a condition.

The Chrysler Corporation published excellent repair manuals. They come up for sale on Ebay frequently. Price usually from $20 to $50.

There are also Motor and Chilton brand manuals. These cover all makes of cars for a period of 10 or 12 years in each book. They are very common because every repair shop had them and many copies survive. Can be bought for $20 to $50.

You can also look in the Old Car Manual Project website.

http://www.tocmp.com/

Hi Thommy from Germany,Amazing you found your car in Holland where I thought they only had bicycles!That would have to be rarer still!I am surprized not more of these cars survived as they are so well built.It sounds like the coupe has at last found a good home in Germany. As Rusty says parts are pretty easy to get and I maintain with many old classics now there are more parts out there now than running cars -a double edged sword for classic car lovers,cheers from New Zealand.