TC on Ebay (or Evilbay...)

I need help from the experts here...It is in regards to this TC on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-...sspagenameZWDVW

Reading thru his description there seems to be inconsistancies. I am looking at this TC for my father but I don't want him to get stuck with a money pit. The guy says a new fuel pump was put in, wouldn't the repair shop empty out any fuel in the tank to do that job? He goes on to say he's been driving it a while...so how can there still be 'residual' old gas to cause the rough idle. What else might cause the rough idle? Is his mechanic correct when he says "there is a control box with relays in it for the transmission that are likely bad, and that is the reason for the shifting problems"

Thanks for your input guys...

For those of you that read my "original shift knob " post...sorry..I got my cars mixed up.. shocked.gif

Guest Jeffn

I had a rough idle until I SMEC'd the thing and then I merely had a a high idle-the price of pumping up the power...beware of ebay TC's though...look at TC America cars .

Actually, had a look, sounds cheap enough to be a parts car. Hope he's feeling better...

I'm not buying the "residual gas" story. If he's been driving the car "a lot" then the gas that was in the tank couldn't be that old to begin with so even if they recycled it, there should be nothing wrong with it.

The A604 transmission is also notoriously problematic, especially the earlier versions (it debuted in 1989) and known for rough shifting before catastrophic failure. 1990 would still be considered an early version. Later versions weren't all that much better.

Thanks guys...I know a $1500 TC is a gamble, I realize more and more how I really lucked out on my $1500 TC that I got from the recovery auction house here in Grand Rapids.Especially when you consider the fact that I couldn't even start it before I bid on it...(I don't think I would do THAT again...) Father is feeling better, thanks Jeff. He says he wouldn't mind something that needs some work, he just questions whether there would be anyone local who could service a TC tranny, and rightfully so. Car_chick , I agree, the gas story sounds a little fishy to me too...I think when we factor in the cost of shipping from Az to Michigan, this is one better left to the 'Westerners'... smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> he just questions whether there would be anyone local who could service a TC tranny, and rightfully so. </div></div>

In this case, it is a very common Chrysler tranny - it isn't unique to the TC by any means. You could check into the cost of a reman tranny in your area and factor that in to your decision.

The rough idle could be anything from needing a tune up to a vacuum leak to who-knows-what.

hmmm...now there's an idea...not sure how SANE of an idea..but an idea none the less... shocked.gif I'm sure he'd love it. He's always up for adventures (might explain my need to PLAN things..lol)

Seriously, I think we'd both welcome the time to get away, but I don't think either one of us want to get in a car that has known tranny problems and try to coax it across the U.S. lol. I will mention the idea though, there are some cars from TC America out that way....