McLaughlin Identification

Guest jules greenway

Guest jules greenway

hi guys

Re my post which went in General by mistake, I am importing from Canada(to the UK) a 1931 8-90 7p sedan, ID No is 2539023. I was told it was a McLaughlin but believe this may not be the case?

First Technical Query (there will be many more I am sure!) is it possible to refurbish the Thermostatic Rad Shutter Control? I see at the moment it is wedged in the closed position (with a piece of wood!)

thanks in anticipation

Jules Greenway

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jules:

In looking at the frame number you give for the car you bought, it is a 1931 90 series, as you expect, but not a McLaughlin. It is one of the 4159 model 90's made for the USA. It was in the 4th group of 11 groups of frame numbers that Buick issued. That group had frame nmbers that started at 2,539,018 and ran to 2,539,341. Engine numbers for that group should normally run from 2,685,067 to 2,686,603, but Buick inventory practices could result in an engine number outside of that range.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest jules greenway

Dear Dave

Many thanks, that confirms what I suspected! The car should be arriving in the UK sometime in April (can't wait!)so will keep in touch and will no doubt have lots of pleas for technical advice

all the best

Jules Greenway