coil spring analysis

Guest connl

Guest connl

I have a 1971 Cutlass S. I just replaced the shocks with Gabriel Ultras. The rear seems to be riding a bit low after the replacement. The old shocks I removed were heavier duty style with springs. The new Gabriels do not have springs.

My question is, how do I determine if the coil springs need to be replaced? Are there measurements that can be made? Thanks. Larry.

Guest connl

Just received my chassis service manual in the mail today (after I posted the question). I'll research and post what I found. Thanks.

Guest connl

Didn't take the measurements on the car yet, but, given the age of the car and the cost of the springs plus installation (pretty cheap), I'm going to replace the rear springs.

New questions: I noticed three style springs (normal, heavy duty, & variable rate). Any comments on what style to use? Also, NAPA is about $73 compared to $45 at Autozone. Comments on purchasing NAPA vs Autozone? Thanks. Larry

• 7 months later...
Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Amazon is a good place to buy coil springs. I always use heavy duty or variable rate. Variable rate springs are supposed to give good ride while maintaining correct height with a load in the trunk. I have had good luck with "MOOG" springs.