Dissassembly of Rear wood spoke wheel with brake drum

Shawn_P

Hey Guys, I tired searching for some information on how to take the rear brake drum off of my 22' touring but have come up short. How does the main hub come apart? I take it after removing the bolts from the spokes to the drum, but how does the hub come off of the drum and spokes? this has the keyway cut into it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Shawn

Shawn:

It is just pressed on. Yours are probably rusted on. Once the bolts have been removed take a soft brass punch and on the drum side put the punch in the holes and tapp them in a circular manner. The drum will eventually break loose. Have a nice day.

I think Jan is certainly correct.

I would add a couple of points from working on Model T wood wheels:

1. Before you remove the drum turn the drum over and punch a mark where the tire valve stem will be. This of course will be between a set of bolt holes. This will remind you to center the drum to the same location.

2. If you are going to remove the wood spokes and refinish you should mark each one again starting at the valve stem and going clockwise. Put the mark point at where the stub of the spoke goes through the wheel holding the spokes. I bought metal push pins numbered 1 through 20 (for example). These were used on old, old houses which had removable screens and storm windows to mark the window, the screen and the storm. Maybe a little harder to find today but try one of the few remaining city hardware stores.

The point is that all these parts were interchangeable 80 years ago but after 80 years of interacting they will definitely reassemble easier if marked before disassembly.

Best wishes

Paul