WTB Generator for 1930 7th series car

34PackardRoadsta

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, thanks for your reply, I,m thinking of putting an alternator {12volt}sytem on my 1930 Packard.Could I leave the gen. off, and make a bracket, the same size as the gen. so I can still keep the right tension on the timing chain, and mount the alternator on this bracket. I,m assuming the shaft running through the gen. only drives the gen. {by way of the timing sprocket}but does not hold the sprocket in place. I just like 12 volt sytems, or am I losing it???

Thanks Ed

Ed,

I would strongly recommend not converting to a 12V system. The generators are really quite reliable, and unless you are going to 'rod' your car you really don't need the amp output of an alternator. Additionally, you reduce the value of the car, as it will be that much harder to restore.

If you decide to go forth with a 12V system, I guess you could fit a spine gear into the housing that matches the gen, and create a bracket to hold the alternator. It would probably be expensive.

Is your generator not working? Why do you want a 12V system?

Tom

Hi Tom

No Tom I,m not going to rod my car, I just like 12 volt systems so I can get better lighting,heater, etc. I,m going to keep every thing esle as orginal as possible.

My question is do I need the shaft from the gen. to keep the timing chain in place and functional.

I,m going to have my gen. checked out reguardless

Thanks Ed