WTB part for my 1938 Buick 8/40 Special

Ross Dalwood

Hi,greetings from Tasmania.

I am trying to to obtain the Belleville washer that backs up the torque ball seal for my 38 Special. (Australian GM Holden Sedan Body 3s manual).

If any reader knows where I can purchase one, or knows of a similar spring washer from another application, or an alternate fix I would be most grateful.

Roscoe

Try this link. As you can see below, there are many forms of these spring washers...

http://www.mcmaster.com/

About Belleville Disc Springs

Use singly, or stack as shown to increase load and deflection.

Springs stacked parallel increase the load by the number of springs used. Springs stacked inverted increase the deflection of the spring by the number of springs in the stack while retaining the load of only one across the span of the stack. Springs stacked parallel and inverted increase both load and deflection.

Belleville Disc Springs

Hold large loads in small spaces. Often used under bolt heads and on valves and bearings to maintain tension. Will return to their specified height repeatedly after constant, intermittent, and cyclic loading.

Flange Belleville Disc Springs

Designed to fit standard bolt sizes. Maintain tension and prevent bolts from loosening in flange applications, which prevents damage to the bolt and joint.

Ball Bearing Belleville Disc Springs

Install against ball bearings to handle axial loads and reduce noise, float, and end play of the bearings.

Polyurethane Flat Disc Springs

Provide high loads in small spaces. Nonmagnetic and resist oxidation, oil, abrasion, and ozone. Must be separated by rigid flat washers when stacked.

Curved Disc Springs

Excellent for light loads in small spaces. Often used to reduce axial end play. Exert relatively light thrust loads. Designed to fit standard rod and hole sizes.

Wave Disc Springs

For light thrust loads in small spaces. Great for ball bearings because they handle axial loads and reduce noise, float, and end play of the bearings.

Finger Disc Springs

Combine the flexibility of disc springs and the axial-load strength of wave springs. Absorb vibration and reduce noise, end play, and skidding wear on parts rotating at high speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at the recent discussion on the pre-war forum. One of the guys just did this seal replacement, when he opened it up he found the spring broken - called the parts supplier who advised that the newer seals don't really need the spring. His seems to be working fine without it.

Jeff

Guest ZondaC12

Yep thats me.

Another 2-ish days of driving (and yep still have had it out several times gotta love good weather over spring break!) and still not a SPOT on that drip pan!!!!!! And thats correct I did not replace the spring washer.

Might as well if you can get it conveniently but don't kill yourself trying to find it, the old seals had cork in them which has little push-back when it's compressed. The new neoprene rubber ones have a lot more, as I was told by Bob's Automobilia (www.bobsautomobilia.com) and I think they were right!